Skip to main content
Topic: Step 1: Suspension. (Read 13219 times) previous topic - next topic

Step 1: Suspension.

Reply #60
you mentioned thngs about steering a while back and ratios.  I discovered something interesting and thought id share it with you.

For some odd reason i had to replace my p/s pump while i was putting in my 308,  I found a p/s pump off an LTD like a 79 or something like that.  Anyway the pully was like an inch larger than my stock pump but configured the same as far as bolt up goes.

I suspected it would be easier to steer and yep,, it sure was,, matter of fact is feels a little toooo easy.

Reply #61
32V - I'm using the drag radials for now because that's what came on that set of wheels when I bought 'em.  The local strip has been sold & closed down, so actually taking it to the track is probably unlikely.  But at under $200 for the air spring inserts and a cool controller, I'll keep it in mind if it still sags with new coils.  (I think for shiznits & giggles, though, I might put the old stock ones in & see how it sits.

Scott - I'm going to find a new 15:1 rack and pump for the car, I think.  Sounds scary if the steering is too easy.  I'd be afraid of over-pressuring the lines, etc.

Reply #62
Since my last update I've gotten the steering rack mostly in (still looking for one of the nuts) and I've gotta tighten down the steering shaft bolt because I'm obsessive-compulsive.  Also got the tie rod ends screwed on pretty close to where the old ones were.  DS went on with no trouble, but the PS gave me fits so bad I had to hold onto the inner tie rod end with pliers so as not to destroy the boot, but they're both on.

This brings me to my next question.  I bought a set of struts listed for an '88 Mustang GT.  I knew this way they'd have the correct spacing at the bottom part where they mount to the spindle of my 11" brakes.  No problems there.  The top is where I'm having trouble.  See pics below:

And here's the other strut, still stuck in the mount, for reference.

Reply #63
that's why i used 94-04 mustang lakewood 90/10 struts on mine. fox struts were too short.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #64
Are you using any kind of spacer on the strut shaft?
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #65
did you compare the two struts on top?
One 88

Reply #66
Same thing happened to me with SN-95 struts. The overall length of the struts were fine, just not enough threads up top. I used C/C Plates to fix that. Do you have a one-piece strut mount? If so and you don't want to buy Plates, seek out a pair of two piece mounts.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #67
There was a spacer included, but as you can see I really didn't need to use it, using it, the threads didn't even come past the top of the mount. 

As for the mounts, they sure look one-piece.  I took the front struts out by pulling the whole mounts out because a.) I had originally planned to replace 'em too, but changed my mind and b.) it's a whole lot easier than trying to use a screwdriver on that ridiculous strut shaft.

So would I need a set something like this?

Reply #68
I have no idea what the hell those things are in that auction, as they are not Mustang upper strut mounts.

You can get a replacement upper strut mount from Moog or TRW that uses the "cup"-style plate that uses the replaceable bushing.  You can then get poly bushings for them.  They make them for Fox Tbird/Cougars specifically, no need to mod Mustang parts if you go the route of buying new.

Reply #69
D'oh!  Now that I look at the bolt arrangement, I see why it isn't a fox piece.

Maybe?  $30 a piece new on RockAuto.

Reply #70
Quote from: Ifixyawata;152662
D'oh!  Now that I look at the bolt arrangement, I see why it isn't a fox piece.

Maybe?  $30 a piece new on RockAuto.

Ding!

I've used these before to replace sloppy original stock units.

Reply #71
The old mounts look fine off the car, but when there's weight on 'em they sort of 'tip' toward the engine bay.  That's irrelevant anyway because they won't work with these new struts and I have no receipt to take 'em back.

Reply #72
Good deal.

Side Note: Chuck, what happened to the tan TC (that was) in your sig?
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #73
Quote from: Ether947;152668

Side Note: Chuck, what happened to the tan TC (that was) in your sig?

It went to a new home.

Reply #74
Well, I waited three days for a set of strut mounts as pictured above to arrive and I found out they're the same thickness as the old stock ones.  So I either have to find thinner strut mounts, or struts with more threads on top.  Looks like the easiest route, at this point, is to get different struts that fit in my old mounts (since I got pissed off and returned the new mounts).  Only issue is that it doesn't appear that the T-bird struts don't come with the shims to fit the thinner top portion of the spindle.  Will washers work in place of these shims?