Skip to main content
Topic: The WORLD'S LEAST optioned 87/88 TBird, pics inside (Read 6964 times) previous topic - next topic

The WORLD'S LEAST optioned 87/88 TBird, pics inside

Here's the pics I've been blabbing about for months. This car is without a doubt the World's LEAST optioned TBird of our generation, period.
-3.8/auto
-manual windows
-manual locks
-manual mirrors
-dual manual bench seat
-no auto-dim
-no cornering lamps
-no light group
-fixed antenna
-standard radio NO cassette
-no EATC
-no AC
-no rear defrost
-no cruise
-3-speed wipers, no intermentant
-base gauges
-14" poly wheels
-no trunk release

It's an 87 Thunderbird (no LX, no nothing, just TBird), with 7,000 miles. We saw it for sale last year in Portland, OR for $12000!!! Definately a piece of history there. The only things this car has is the clock and power steering, and I don't think they could be deleted.

Reply #1
Notice the TC-style silver dash, no woodgrain!!

Reply #2
I wonder how much it weighs.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #3
I thought autos all came with floor shift?

Also, that doesn't really look like a bench seat up front to me...

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #5
HAHAHA, Eric you funny! :P

bhazard- I'd say, LIGHT. I wanted that car soooooo bad.

Red_LX- Do some research! All 85-88 non-TC autos were on the column standard. You had to buy a Sport Bird or spec out full-length center console to get the floor shift. The "consolette" in that pic is attatched to the drivers seat, it's called a split bench.

Eric- The license plate bracket MUST have been "no charge" to make it onto this car! :P

Reply #6
Check out the buttonless steering wheel too!

Reply #7
Well the license plate bracket thing went like this...

If you lived in a state where there was a front license plate required, you got the bracket installed at the dealership free of charge. This included out-of-state purchases also. For example, in Ohio we have 2 plates required but in Pennsylvania, right next door, only 1 plate is required. That's why I try to get front bumper covers from PA junkyards. ;) But if this was 1987 and I went over the border to PA to order a car from a dealership, they would have still installed the bracket because I was from Ohio and Ohio requires a front plate. Therefore it didn't matter where you ordered the car, it mattered about the state in which you lived at the time, as to whether or not your car had a front plate bracket.

However...not only did OEM Ford license plate brackets have their own part numbers, but they also had their own order code in the dealer order books.

Therefore they are officially a Ford option.

Sorry Mikey. ;)

Reply #8
HAHAHA. Well I still call it as #1 until somebody shows pics of the same car without one. 1 option is still the record :hick:

Reply #9
Oh I'm not arguing with you, Mike, it's definitely lacking any major options. It's just that the license plate bracket is sometimes the deal-breaker.

A few years ago a schoolteacher e-mailed me about her 1988 XR7 that she said was fully optioned. We went through the list of options and it was indeed fully loaded--had the optional full digital cluster, and even the engine block heater, which was also dealer installed. I asked about the license plate bracket and she didn't have it. So...we were pretty close in finding a fully loaded '88 XR7, except for that ed bracket.

Reply #10
I think those wheel covers are the optional ones - the base ones are metal full discs. That is one nice 'Bird though - it is about as well optioned as my old '85 (mine had the base hubcaps but it did have metallic paint). Can't really tell from the pics, but is it metallic paint on that red one? If so, that's an option as well ;)

As for the TC-style dash - all of my Thunderbirds had that dash. The only Fox I'd ever owned with the woodgrain was the '88 Cougar. I've never even had one with the "carbon fibre" - my parts TC had the same brushed silver as my '88 base model.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #11
Wow. It's so strange to see a center consolette panel with nothing on it - not even a mirror switch.
It looks like it may have rear defrost, though. You can just barely see the switch in the image with the center consolette.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #12
Plain Red, no metallic.

The whole "options" thing on these cars frustrates me so much. Every time I ask somebody when one is for sale, it's always "loaded" because they don't know any better.

On "fully optioned", what if the option isn't desirable or wanted? For example Layla has:
1988 Turbo Coupe, Medium Red Clearcoat Metallic paint, red leather interior, power moonroof, dual power seats, power windows, power locks, power mirrors, auto-dim headlamps, cornering lights, lighted visors, power antenna, premium sound with EQ, rear defrost, EATC, cruise, intermentant wipers and that  plate holder (trash can now). As far as I know it had ALL of the options except one, the automatic. The thing is auto TC's are worth about 1/3 on average of a 5-Speed car. So is Layla "good" fully loaded or without the auto is it a moot point?

Strangest optioned TC's I've had:

White 88 TC: auto, premium sound no EQ fixed antenna. So 2 options.

Primer 88TC: moonroof, 1 option

Gunmetal 88TC: dual power seats, leather, auto

Reply #13
The rear window was blank. The control unit looked bizarre with no A/C.

Reply #14
You almost have to wonder if when odering delete for credit  "options" were chosen.  ie power window delete etc