Skip to main content
Topic: The WORLD'S LEAST optioned 87/88 TBird, pics inside (Read 6963 times) previous topic - next topic

The WORLD'S LEAST optioned 87/88 TBird, pics inside

Reply #15
Isn't this the switch for the rear defrost?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #16
It's blank. Left one did fan speed, bottom one selected which vent (floor, mix, vent, defrost were the only choices), top one selected "heat range" (the blue didn't say A/C), the right one was just "there", no markings, no light.

Reply #17
Wow. That's pretty cool, actually. Imagine how rare that unit is!
Does that mean that Ford didn't manufacture a delete panel for non-defrost cars (with that specific panel)? For example, any '85-'88 car with no rear defrost would still have that knife-style switch in the HVAC panel?
What a strange car...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #18
ehh...I don't see how that can be considered a "split bench" if nobody can sit in the middle.

What came standard on TC's...pw, pdl, power mirrors, power driver's seat,...?

If that's the case mine is fairly "un-optioned", I have/had cruise, rear defrost, A/C, premium sound with EQ (tape player, no power antenna), and intermittent wipers. My car looks like it may have had the plate holder at some point, as there were about 6 holes in the front bumper, but it was long gone before I bought the thing if it was ever on there.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #19
Standard on ALL 87-88 TC's (can NOT be deleted):
Power driver's seat
intermenant wipers
power windows
power locks
power mirrors
cruise
a/c
power steering
tilt
full length console with floor shift
casette player
ride control
premuim switch
rear defrost
foglights

Additional options:
metallic clearcoat paint
power passenger seat
automatic tranny
EATC
power antenna (available without Premium Sound as well)
Premium Sound with or without EQ
auto-dim headlamps
cornering lamps
lighted visors
power moonroof
leather

Reply #20
 that is bare. A/C was an option? I thought that A/C was standard.

I think my 88 LX is only missing a few options. I have: cornering lamps, lighted door locks, keyless entry, full digital dash, auto dim/auto lamp, premium sound with graphic eq, power antenna, power locks, power windows, power mirrors, dual power seats, leather seats (kind of rare on a original consolette car), electronic climate control, rear defrost, and a 5.0:D. The only things I think I'm missing are a sunroof and the engine block heater.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #21
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;130363
Power driver's seat
intermenant wipers
power windows
power locks
power mirrors
cruise
a/c
power steering
tilt
casette player
ride control
premuim switch
rear defrost
foglights

Additional options:
metallic clearcoat paint
power passenger seat
automatic tranny
EATC
auto-dim headlamps
cornering lamps
lighted visors
power moonroof
leather

What is EATC?

Hell, in that case, the only options my car has is metallic paint and premium sound w/EQ. Doesn't even have lighted visors if I recall correctly.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #22
EATC= Electronic Climate Control buttons and an LCD instead of the s that go back and forth.

And I forgot about lighted locks and keyless entry, those are options as well (and yes, Layla has them)

Reply #23
Mikey, ive got you beat. I saw a car IDENTICAL to that one at the junkyard, same color and everything...with a passanger mirror delete.

I have that mirror delete panel in my stash.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #24
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;130363
Power driver's seat
intermenant wipers
power windows
power locks
power mirrors
cruise
a/c
power steering
tilt
casette player
ride control
premuim switch
rear defrost
foglights

Additional options:
metallic clearcoat paint
power passenger seat
automatic tranny
EATC
auto-dim headlamps
cornering lamps
lighted visors
power moonroof
leather

Rear defrost is optional... my 87TC doesn't have it. It's pretty annoying. It has Auto-Dim though. :rolleyes:
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #25
My '85 had the right side mirror delete - the consolette panel was blank, just like in the subject car. It annoyed the hell out of me so I ended up installing a mirror. I now wish I had kept that delete panel, but back then I didn't think anything of it. A/C was optional in Canada and my car didn't have it. The only options that car had were metallic paint and full sized spare. It was the rare Light Sage Metallic, but even rarer, it had a grey interior (most sage cars had tan interior).

FWIW, if any of you have removed your A/C and want a HVAC panel that reflects this, you don't have to try to find a Canadian panel - mid 80's to early 90's Econoline vans used the same HVAC panels as these cars (even had T-Bird/Cougar stamped on 'em).

My '88 Cougar was an oddly optioned car: A/C (remember, optional in Canada), cruise, tilt, PW, PM, but manual locks and manual seats. The '88 Bird has windows/locks/mirrors and air, but manual seats.

Based on Mike's list the only options my parts TC had were metallic paint (silver), EATC and rear map lights (the ones in the C-pillar panels). It may have had premium sound too, but there was no stereo, speakers or amp in the car when I got it.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #26
WOW. that is so close to my 'rents old 87. same color even. theirs was grey interior w/cruise, rear defrost, and a/c. thats it, nuthin else.

it did have 14" polycast wheels, but they were slightly different than those. had dimples in the spokes, and removable centercaps w/the t-bird logo on them

ended up in a syard in detroit someplace. probly crushed by now. i wish i had been in a position to buy it after it was totaled. would have made a good donor to delete all the extra stuff from my TC.....
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #27
I think Brians( Ifixyawata) cougar had the pass. mirror delete on it. I even think he still has the doors

Reply #28
Quote from: 84 Fila;130409
I think Brians( Ifixyawata) cougar had the pass. mirror delete on it. I even think he still has the doors

He's right.  The only options the car had to speak of were A/C, 5.0, rear defrost, tilt, and a sunroof.

It even had vinyl seats.

Reply #29
i saw a car similar yeas ago, it was that brownish color with brown cloth seats it was odd seeing the crank handles, v8 car tho, that was the option i guess, i wanted to buy but fro 1,200 it was outta my price range.... this was in 2001
Brian J Larkin
1988 Tbird Turbo Coupe
1989 Cougar XR7
1995  Ranger Splash