Skip to main content
Topic: 2008 Thundercats Calendar - Now Available to Forum Members! (Read 27867 times) previous topic - next topic

2008 Thundercats Calendar - Now Available to Forum Members!

Reply #330
I looked into the links Raven sent and the Office Max calendars AM was talking about. Both of them only have 11x17 calendars open. The cafepress calendars are 11x17 closed and 22x17 open. Both of those options will require redoing the layouts. Something I would like to avoid, but that might not be possible.

I'm getting ready to email Ford's lawyer right at this moment. Now that I have some time to think clearly. But it's not looking good (as far as cafepress goes), a friend designed some logos and other things for a local Ford Car Club (which she is a part of), the club was started by employees of Ford and supposedly owned by Ford as well. Cafepress pulled their work too... :rolleyes:
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #331
I'm checking with my local OfficeMax tomorrow to see if they have a 22x17 option. I'll let you know.

Reply #332
Got mine today it was really nice....great job on the layout!

Reply #333
ill be honest, i started getting confused and stopped reading this thread and it 2 billions posts.

so to clarify, not just for me, but everyone,

can they be purchased yet?
1988 Thunderbird sport
2004 Ford F150 Lariat
2008  Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone

Reply #334
i dont know how but i got one today great job bro:bowdown:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #335
My 3 came! Any one want to enter the Thunderdome and fight for one?  Come on entertain the rest of us!  :hick:

They look great!

Any way we could get a poster of the cover in color?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #336
OfficeMax only goes up to a 17x11 so that sucked. I checked around and I found a local place that goes up to 22x17.

Reply #337
No they are not ready, we are just tossing around ideas at the moment. AM: PM me the details of the local place. Meanwhile Karl is helping me get info on how we can get a "license" to sell anything with Ford products on them. Regardless of who we use, it will still be illegal to do so without permission from Ford.

Reply #338
Understood.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #339
Quote from: Ether947;196523
Regardless of who we use, it will still be illegal to do so without permission from Ford.

How is that?

Reply #340
Quote from: V8Demon;196498

Any way we could get a poster of the cover in color?

X2  If everything gets straightened out with the calendars and this could be done, I'd be in for one.

Reply #341
Quote from: JeremyB;196526
How is that?

A little snippet from the lawyer...

Ford's trademarks and trade dress serve several important purposes.  First, seeing the distinctive Ford logo on a product or business is an immediate indication that the product or business is authorized by Ford.  Second, a product bearing a Ford trademark is an indication that the product is of high quality and has passed Ford's strict quality control procedures and inspections.  Third, placing a Ford trademark on a product indicates that Ford, or an authorized agent, is the source of the product, and that the product is genuine and not counterfeit.  When the public purchases a product or service sold under a Ford trademark, the public has every right to expect that the product or service is the "real thing."  All of this, in turn, contributes to the value of Ford trademarks as legitimate and important business assets of the company.

At times Ford enthusiasts question why Ford is so adamant about policing its trademarks and preventing unauthorized uses or infringements of them.  It is quite common for someone who is using a trademark without permission to say, "I'm giving Ford free advertising, so why does Ford care?"  Ford cares because it is important that Ford be able to exercise control over the quality of the product or service bearing Ford's trademarks.  If a disreputable business sells an inferior product or service that uses a Ford trademark, the poor quality of that product or service reflects on Ford.  A person who is disappointed by that poor product or service will not take the time to determine whether Ford in fact authorized the use of its trademarks.
  They will, probably rightly, assume Ford to be the ultimate source of their disappointment and may transfer their loyalty to a competitor.

If a business not affiliated with Ford uses any Ford trademark, whether through the use of photographs, depictions or silhouettes, or any confusingly similar variation thereof, without Ford's express, written consent, then that business is violating Federal and state trademarks laws.
  That business is also misleading the public into believing that such business is affiliated with Ford.  It is also not sufficient for a business to state that it is not affiliated with Ford but continue to use Ford trademarks without permission.  The business is still misappropriating the goodwill and reputation developed by Ford, and attempting to capitalize on or profit from Ford's goodwill and reputation.  Even with the best of intentions, unauthorized use of another company's trademark is against the law and misleading to the general public. 

Unauthorized and infringing uses of Ford's trademarks come in many disguises.  Examples of cases in which Ford has successfully pursued infringers include the following:  (1) businesses that use Ford trademarks in their business name such as "John Doe's Ford Repair;" (2) businesses that use Ford trademarks or trade dress in advertisp00gets, including phone book advertisp00gets; (3) businesses that place Ford trademarks or trade dress on products such as shirts, coffee mugs, key fobs, etc.; and (4) businesses that use Ford trademarks in their Internet domain names.

Ford genuinely hopes the public understands the need for Ford to police and enforce the proper use of its trademarks and trade dress.  To protect the value of its trademarks, Ford is obligated to object to and pursue unauthorized uses of its trademarks and trade dress, even if the use of the trademark or trade dress does not appear offensive or objectionable.  If Ford does not do so, it may be deemed under the trademark laws to have abandoned its trademark rights. 

Reply #342
im no lawyer, so for my own clarification are pics of our cars considered a Ford trademark/trade dress?
or is it the fact that you are sellin pics of our cars which have Ford trademarked logos on them?
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #344
Quote from: gumby;196540
im no lawyer, so for my own clarification are pics of our cars considered a Ford trademark/trade dress?
or is it the fact that you are sellin pics of our cars which have Ford trademarked logos on them?

The issue with the latest version of the calendars isn't about the logos.

Say I had a stock mint condition turbo coupe and I was really good at professional photography.  I took some stellar pictures of my car, had some posters made giving it a "stock photo" feel, and offered them for sale to the forum members by putting them in an online "store."  Even though it's my car and I took the picture, Cafepress is saying I cannot offer these images to the "public" for sale on products like calendars, posters, T-shirts, mugs, etc.

Quote from: Trademark Paralegal with Howard Phillips & Andersen
Although you may own the Ford automobile, you do not own the rights to the trade dress. Taking pictures of any Ford automobiles, placing them on products (i.e. calendar, mugs, t-shirts, etc.) and making them available to the public for sale is an infringement of Ford's intellectual property rights.

Quote from: Trademark Paralegal with Howard Phillips & Andersen
Ford genuinely hopes the public understands the need for Ford to police and enforce the proper use of its trademarks and trade dress.  To protect the value of its trademarks, Ford is obligated to object to and pursue unauthorized uses of its trademarks and trade dress, even if the use of the trademark or trade dress does not appear offensive or objectionable.  If Ford does not do so, it may be deemed under the trademark laws to have abandoned its trademark rights.

They view Ether's online "store" at Cafepress as a "business" or competition to licensed businesses because the calendars are available to anyone to purchase.  "Taking pictures of any Ford automobiles, placing them on products (i.e. calendar, mugs, t-shirts, etc.) and making them available to the public for sale..."

There are businesses out there who have gone through the expense to obtain proper licensing from Ford to use these trademarks so if we offer similar products, we are essentially competition but without the licensing to do so.  Those who have gone through the steps then have a grievance.

Now with our particular situation, we may be able to get permission because we aren't using logos, the Ford name, or selling large quantities.
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]