Skip to main content
Topic: So I need your help... (Read 3073 times) previous topic - next topic

So I need your help...

Well long story short me and my wife went out tonight to see a friend of mine that just had a baby to take them a gift and to visit.I leave there about 11:30 ish tonight driving normal (for an old lady) cause it was raining and roads are very unsafe.Well i get about a half mile from his house (2 intersections) were i made full and complete stops making sure to use my signals as nessacery never exceeded the speed limit of 25 to 30 mph during this time.When i see blue lights in my rear view me and my wife both look over at each other and go WTF? why is he pulling us over.Come to find out he has us for "laying drag" he asked me  why we were spinning the tires I replied I didnt know they were spinning that this car is a 3500 pnd 4 cyl. He got smart and said Dont you know when your spinning the tires? I replied no sir This car didnt spin the tires and if i was going to spin the tires I would do it in my Other car at the race track were such is legal and not on a public roadway. Well he gets my liscence and my insurance card and goes back to his car for about 20 mins detaining us for no reason whatso ever.He came back to the window and stated he was writing me a citation for laying drag and asked me to sign the ticket wich I done.And stated if I wanted to avoid loosing and having to pay court cost i could pay it at any time at their local courthouse.In wich I asked about the court date and he told me the day and time rudely.I Thanked him for telling us the date and asked him if he would be present.He was short in his reply and said he would be there. He told me to have a nice night and I exchanged the greeting and attempted to shake the mans hand.When he acted as he was to good to.

Needless to say I was harrassed tonight by a officer with nothing better to do then pic on a couple out to visit close friends and I feel degraded and upset over the officers actions.

Below is a copy of georgia's state law reguarding the citation he gave me tonight.

TITLE 40.  MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC 
CHAPTER 6.  UNIFORM RULES OF THE ROAD 
ARTICLE 11.  MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS

O.C.G.A. § 40-6-251  (2006)

§ 40-6-251.  Driving in circular or zigzag course; "laying drags."

(a) No driver of any motor vehicle shall operate the vehicle upon the public streets, highways, public or private driveways, airport runways, or parking lots in such a manner as to create a danger to persons or property by intentionally and unnecessarily causing the vehicle to move in a zigzag or circular course or to gyrate or spin around, except to avoid a collision or injury or damage.

(b) The offenses described in this Code section shall be sufficiently identified on any traffic ticket, warrant, accusation, or indictment when referred to as "laying drags."

(c) This Code section shall not apply to drivers operating vehicles in or on any raceway, drag strip, or similar place customarily and lawfully used for such purposes.

(d) Any person violating subsection (a) of this Code section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

HISTORY: Ga. L. 1970, p. 549, §§ 1-4; Ga. L. 1990, p. 2048, § 5.

Whats your take on this fellows? Should I take this farther
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

So I need your help...

Reply #1
I would but when I took a ticket further the  lied in court and changed his story half way through it.

So I need your help...

Reply #2
How's traffic court out where you are?  Do they have a DA or do the Police have to do all their own testimony?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

So I need your help...

Reply #3
Quote from: Paul Flockhart;125024
How's traffic court out where you are?  Do they have a DA or do the Police have to do all their own testimony?

Im not sure, This happened in a smaller town about 20 mins outside were I live.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

So I need your help...

Reply #4
I would but when I took a ticket further the  lied in court and changed his story half way through it.

Not really worth it for a cop to lie in court.......ESPECIALLY traffic court.  Sure he didn't have you confused with someone else?  I've been to traffic court on tickets I wrote so long ago that when I had to testify I simply stated what I could remember....which was ABSOLUTELY NOTHING......Had it happen about 2 months ago on a ticket I wrote in 2003.
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

So I need your help...

Reply #5
Quote from: Paul Flockhart;125026
Not really worth it for a cop to lie in court.......ESPECIALLY traffic court.  Sure he didn't have you confused with someone else?  I've been to traffic court on tickets I wrote so long ago that when I had to testify I simply stated what I could remember....which was ABSOLUTELY NOTHING......Had it happen about 2 months ago on a ticket I wrote in 2003.

I was the only one on the road and I sure wasnt driving in anything other then 90 year old lady mode.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

So I need your help...

Reply #6
Im not sure, This happened in a smaller town about 20 mins outside were I live.

Find out.  That "laying drag" term  seems to also include cutting your way through traffic even if you are obeying the speed limit.

(d) Any person violating subsection (a) of this Code section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

A convition or guilty plea will destroy your insurance rates.......think about that.

So I need your help...

Reply #7
Quote from: Paul Flockhart;125028
Find out.  That "laying drag" term  seems to also include cutting your way through traffic even if you are obeying the speed limit.

A convition or guilty plea will destroy your insurance rates.......think about that.

Im going to talk to the sherrif tommorow, This ticket will cause me to loose my job also as there insurance wont carry me once they pick up on it. therefore automatic termination

I feel like I was singled out because of my age and car even though I didnt break the law.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

So I need your help...

Reply #8
You should have asked for proof (maybe video, or him to point out where you were "laying drag").  And I definitely wouldn't have been polite.  I am angry just thinking about it now...

So I need your help...

Reply #9
by him being polite just pissed the ocifer oops i mean oficer off more bc he was looking for a fight or some action he didnt give it to him so the oficer did the next best thing wrote him a BS ticket. knowing hes the man that can. and whos this guy to say im wrong... sucks but thats the power these guys think they have  to just ruin this guys life. i mean  lose your job bc some cop was a J/O. it's one thing if your GUILTY but if not. man o man id be pissed.
trick flow street heat intake , 24lbs injetors, ported GT-40's (Chip) long tube headers. and a Performance Automatic C4, with a hurst shifter!

So I need your help...

Reply #10
I had a similiar event happen in my Friend's 67 Stang.He had an inline six at the time.I think they often go by the car's appearance.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

So I need your help...

Reply #11
Quote from: CougarCoupe88;125043
by him being polite just pissed the ocifer oops i mean oficer off more bc he was looking for a fight or some action he didnt give it to him so the oficer did the next best thing wrote him a BS ticket. knowing hes the man that can. and whos this guy to say im wrong... sucks but thats the power these guys think they have  to just ruin this guys life. i mean  lose your job bc some cop was a J/O. it's one thing if your GUILTY but if not. man o man id be pissed.

yup. :flame:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

So I need your help...

Reply #12
I had a similar situation last winter (or possibly 2 winters ago) where I was driving down a back road that hadn't been plowed in a while.  I had parked where I could back off of the road onto a plowed one to drive on, but some dummy parked over a sidewalk and blocked me so I had to drive forward.  Needless to say I could get very little traction and the neighbors had to give me a push to start.  Once going I feathered the throttle but still was a bit sideways down the road.  This was a suburban area with huge blocks and I was nearing a plowed road when amazingly a cop saw me.  He pulled me over and cited me with exhibition driving.  I told the officer there was nothing more I could do given my traction difficulties and the state of the road, but it made no difference.  It wasn't until the officer had to give me a push to get going that he finally ripped up the ticket, lol.
2000 Jaguar XK8 Convertible - 4.0L DOHC V8 (AJ27)
2018 Ford Explorer - 3.5L DOHC V6 (Duratec 35)
1999 Mercury Grand Marquis - 4.6L SOHC V8 (Modular)
1987 Mercury Cougar LS - 5.0L V8 (Windsor) [SOLD in 2009]

So I need your help...

Reply #13
Yeah, See if you cant get a copy of the weather report fromn that night. Traction problems are not "laying Drag" and with the weather the way it was, You should be able to fight this ticket with a reasonable degree of success.
88 TC, Lots of Mods.

So I need your help...

Reply #14
Get pics of the intersection you were at and show them,no marks.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..