Skip to main content
Topic: Post up pics of your wheels.... (Read 197585 times) previous topic - next topic

weights????????

Reply #180
actually you can place the outer dynamic weights behind the spokes,
the machine will then tell you it is a little off, add or subtract weight
until the machine zero's out. many wheels have a rolled outer edge so as not to place weights there..many of the new balancers will actually calculate and hide the weights for you..for the ones that say you can't get a "good" balance, come to oregon and we will show you.

Post up pics of your wheels....

Reply #181
Quote from: tire baron;309010
actually you can place the outer dynamic weights behind the spokes,
the machine will then tell you it is a little off, add or subtract weight
until the machine zero's out. many wheels have a rolled outer edge so as not to place weights there..many of the new balancers will actually calculate and hide the weights for you..for the ones that say you can't get a "good" balance, come to oregon and we will show you.

True, you can place them behind the spokes if there is room. Doing so does require stick-on weights however, and my experiance with those on a daily driven vehicle has not been good. Nonetheless, I would still question how good a balance you could get with these particular wheels as the weights would end up on or inside of the wheel's center in order to clear the bolt  of its two piece design.

On other wheels however, placing the outer weights inside of the spokes can work rather well. This is especially true when the vehicle will not see regular snow, sleet, and rain to cause the stick-on weights to fall off.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
"as if 'religion' were something God invented, and not His statement to us of certain quite unalterable facts about His own nature." -C.S. Lewis

Reply #182
porsche, mercedes benz use adhesive weights from the factory, in our part of the world
all road race cars are mandated to use adhesive weights..put a clip on weight on a magnesium wheel and see what the zinc does..if your experience with stick on weights
has not been good, i suggest you find a good tire man, the balance is as good as the
tech. tire baron (40 years)

Reply #183
Quote from: tire baron;309093
porsche, mercedes benz use adhesive weights from the factory, in our part of the world
all road race cars are mandated to use adhesive weights..put a clip on weight on a magnesium wheel and see what the zinc does..if your experience with stick on weights
has not been good, i suggest you find a good tire man, the balance is as good as the
tech. tire baron (40 years)

Race cars are mandated to use adhesive weights not because the adhesive is better, but instead because the adhesive weights sit on the part of the rim that is parallel to the rim. As you know, Newton's First Law of Motion says an object (the weight) will stay in motion moves in a straight line with constant speed unless acted upon by an outside force. In the case of a normal weight, this outside force is the clip, in the case of a stick-on weight, this force is the rim itself.

In the real world rims corrode however and stick-on weights don't work that well when there is corrosion present. Mercedes may use the adhesive weights, and maybe they work fine on a Mercedes powder coated rim. Then again, maybe they flake off as badly as the dye on the dash of my wife's SLK, or fall off as often as the door panels did until I glued the clips back on with the adhesive you normally use to glue on quarter panels.

How well a clip-on weight works on a magnesium wheel is of no consequence to me, I own no vehicle that utilizes them.

As for how accurately you can balance a wheel utilizing a weight set inside the centerline of the rim, I would like to see real literature from a balancer manufacturer that recommends this. The closer together you make the weights, the less accurately you can achieve a dynamic balance. This is not a matter of my opinion, but rather, as I understand it, a matter of physics. If you have a weight imbalance that is causing an inertial event that is at a diagonal to the vertical of the rim, you must have weights as far to the outside of the rim as possible to counteract it.

In any case, I really do appreciate your input. If and when I have these wheels blasted and powder coated, I may very well go with your recommendation and  use adhesive weights.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
"as if 'religion' were something God invented, and not His statement to us of certain quite unalterable facts about His own nature." -C.S. Lewis

Reply #184
I use adhesive weights.

To keep them on, I cover them with a piece of foil tape, like what you find at the hardware store for ductwork.  Never lost a weight and the tape doesn't affect the balance.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #185
did a 5 lug swap with a 9in

before

after

Reply #186
...i think it looks mean and will look better when i slap some 4cyl springs in it (the 2nd pic had a empty engine bay)

Reply #187
Quote from: Chuck W;309104
I use adhesive weights.

To keep them on, I cover them with a piece of foil tape, like what you find at the hardware store for ductwork.  Never lost a weight and the tape doesn't affect the balance.

Cool... I'll most likely start using them once I have the wheels redone. Until then, I just don't feel like they are worth the effort of cleaning the inside of the 24 year old rims.

All of this will need to wait until after we move to Tennessee though.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill

Reply #188

heres mine 15x8 aluminum american racing i believe idk
88 5.0 tbird, bbk shorties, new aod, short ram intake, msd ignition, soon to be full H.O.

Reply #189
Do you have the other two wheels?Gotta have a 4 of a kind ya' know.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #190
Quote from: vinnietbird;312965
Do you have the other two wheels?Gotta have a 4 of a kind ya' know.

Agreed. They look good though

Reply #191
yea ive got the other two, just not on yet cuz they still need tires, thanx for the compliment tho
88 5.0 tbird, bbk shorties, new aod, short ram intake, msd ignition, soon to be full H.O.

Reply #192
03 Cobra replicas, should have kept them...

Reply #193
:o I love them

Reply #194
Quote from: Whiteboy;313108
:o I love them

Yup they look good on that beauty!