Skip to main content
Topic: headlights not working... (Read 4977 times) previous topic - next topic

headlights not working...

Well guys, just as the title states, my headlights are not functional. All the bulbs are new, and the wiring seems to be in good shape. This is where it gets complicated though, when I pull the blinker lever forward for my high beams the lights come on then go back out when you release the lever.
 The headlight switch is fine however, being that it worked in my '87 cougar. Any ideas or thoughts are valued to me. Thanks!
~1988 thunderbird~
In hibernation, waiting for spring.

Reply #1
i had the same problem before and my headlight switch was bad,
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #2
Headlight switch is bad.
The "flash to pass" switch on the stalk, is a seperate circuit that bypasses the headlight switch. It will even work with the headlight switch off.

Reply #3
Quote from: softtouch;116830
Headlight switch is bad.
The "flash to pass" switch on the stalk, is a seperate circuit that bypasses the headlight switch. It will even work with the headlight switch off.

Well, that means my wiring must be bad, or there's a ground issue.
I have checked the grounds on the core support and they look fine, so maybe there's a bad ground somwhere else.
  I wonder if there is any other electrical components that would cause this problem. also, It wouldn't hurt to try another switch.
~1988 thunderbird~

Reply #4
ill bet on the multi function switch

would you happen to have any special features such as auto headlamp dimmer ect?

Reply #5
Yeah, jcassidy is right, it can be the multifunction switch.
If you have 12v on the red with yellow stripe wire  at the M/F switch, then it's the M/F switch. If not it's back to the H/L switch.

Reply #6
just curious if he has a auto dimmer feature. An old 78 cougar of mine had it up in the grille and went bad.  Its just a photodiode but still, it prevented my lights from coming on.  Now that i think about it,, that wiring was a little rigged up to say the least.

Reply #7
Probably the dimmer switch "contact bar" melted the plastic carrier and isn't making contact anymore. I just pulled the plug and jumpered the red/yellow and red/black together. Only have low beams now, and flash-to-pass highs. I'll put in my "new" switch (and relays) someday.

My previous post (several pages in...)
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=6454
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #8
My tbird does have the auto dimmer function! I removed the little box on my mirror a wile ago though, so I kinda forgot about it.
I'll have to ckeck out the switch to see if thats the problem...thanks guys for the idea!
~1988 thunderbird~

Reply #9
Quote from: jcassity;116884

would you happen to have any special features such as auto headlamp dimmer ect?

hey, what manual is that? I don't recall my haynes or chilton's manual having that section...
~1988 thunderbird~

Reply #10
the 87 evtm whch is about 3/4'' thick as well as the 87 shop manuals which all add up to about 7'' thick.

btw,, see diagram below, you might find something interesting there.  Id rewind a little and check fuses next.

Reply #11
Quote from: jcassity;116928
the 87 evtm whch is about 3/4'' thick as well as the 87 shop manuals which all add up to about 7'' thick.

btw,, see diagram below, you might find something interesting there.  Id rewind a little and check fuses next.

Cool... this diagram shall be quite handy in solving this problem. Thanks!
~1988 thunderbird~

Reply #12
have you checked the relay?  I remember messing around with the relays under my dash and my headlights wouldnt work, I put everything back the way it was and all was well.

Reply #13
Quote from: 88turbo;117114
have you checked the relay?  I remember messing around with the relays under my dash and my headlights wouldnt work, I put everything back the way it was and all was well.

where would these be located? Are you refering to the ones on the branch that would be closest to your right knee wile driving?
~1988 thunderbird~