Skip to main content
Topic: Anyone Watching TV in HD? (Read 2768 times) previous topic - next topic

Anyone Watching TV in HD?

Just an informal discussion to see how many people here have an HDTV and are watching programming in HD. Any problems with your TV or reception? Favorite channels? Thoughts?

Reply #1
I'm too cheap to get digital cable and HD channels for my 32" CRT HDTV.

However, after seeing sports in HD, anything less is an abomination!

Reply #2
I got a sony SXRD 50" HDTV and love it... I'm running Dishnetwork 622 vip HD PVR. I also have OTA HD in my area too so I get ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, and couple others in HD also.

As far as the Dishnetwork service goes the reciever is nice, its a dual tuner pvr that also can do OTA as well, so I can record 2 channels of dishnetwork programing and record one OTA HD channel as well. I sub to the HD gold package for like $80/month.. right now I'm on a $20/month for 10 month discount from signing up.. so I'm paying ~$60 now..

I do have problems with the 622 vip reciever. I'm on my 3rd one cause the others keep randomly rebooting.. this one I have now is working good so I'm keeping my fingers crossed...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #3
I dont have HTDV.. I'm not THAT up-to-date with the American lifestyle ;)

Reply #4
Bob, that's great info. I have Dish Network too and I'm looking to upgrade to an HD DVR setup and maybe the HD channel package. I can get NBC, CBS, and ABC over the air in HD; Fox, CW and PBS are local digital SD channels. I'm on the 120-channel package now...wondering if the extra $$$ is worth it for HD channels though. Right now it's free but limited to OTA signals, and I don't think the locals will be HD on the upgraded HD package. Basically it would be Discovery HD, ESPN HD, and the older Voom channels, right?

Anyway...yes, sports are pretty awesome in HD, especially football. You see a lot more action going on toward the edges of the screen.

Reply #5
I jumped on that HD promotion they had with rebate on the reciever so I had to pay the $199 up front for the 622 pvr and get $20/m for 10 months.. The voom channels are pretty nice. only voom channels I don't watch is game,gallery and monster but every now and than something good is on them. The HD gold is the same as the 180 package w/ all the HD they offer.

I got it cause with the baby we don't get to watch tv when we want to so I really wanted it for the HD-PVR..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #6
Eric, I come back here to browse and you make me read this??? Only thing I watch on TV in HD is Lost... otherwise I dont watch that much TV it's all movies babe... tv isnt worth watching anymore.

Reply #7
We have a 54in HDTV projection, but we dont have an HD reciever yet (we looked at them a few months back and it wasnt worth it at the time).

Reply #8
Sorry to bore you, Mikey. I thought you'd at least be watching Ugly Betty also. ;)

Aight Bob, thanks again for the info. I'll let you know what I end up doing. Chances are, I'll have to buy the receiver myself...not looking forward to that...but a call to Dish Network will let me know for sure.

Reply #9
Quote from: MDJ1281;109149
tv isnt worth watching anymore.

I take it you've never seen Hero or Battlestar Galactica.....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #10
I find myself watching National Geographic, Discovery, and Science Channel most; they have some really interesting shows.  :dunce:

Reply #11
Quote from: baXo;109132
I dont have HDTV.. I'm not THAT up-to-date with the American lifestyle ;)

What is HDTV ? a heavy-duty television ? i have one, i see it like 15 hours daily and never a single problem...heck , even i throw things to it  (like shoes, belts, chains, cans of beer) and still works like a champ !
:dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:
1985 Mercury Cougar V6
1989 F-200 V8
1996 Explorer V6
2001 F-150

Reply #12
Quote from: kingcars;109194
I find myself watching National Geographic, Discovery, and Science Channel most; they have some really interesting shows.  :dunce:

Yeah me too, I can't wait till history channel goes HD :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #13
I'm assuming these new Blu-Ray and HD-DVD's require an HDTV or Monitor, eh?

I might re-consider my purchase of a flat-panel monitor for one that's HD compliant so maybe someday I can watch HD-DVDs.  You know what susprises me about those though?  The HD-DVD's don't cost 3x more than regular ones.  Like how the first DVD's that came out cost so much more than VHS.

Reply #14
I have a 50" Mitsubishi Diamond that I am using with the local cable companies HD box/DVR. I get ABC, NBC, CBS, TNT, FOX, NBC Universal, ESPN, ESPN 2, Discovery, HDNET, HDNET Movies, HBO, and Showtime is available, but I don't subscribe to it. The only channels I watch that aren't HD are Speed, Sci-fi, History, and TLC.