Skip to main content
Topic: Anyone Watching TV in HD? (Read 2767 times) previous topic - next topic

Anyone Watching TV in HD?

Reply #15
Quote from: MexCougar;109222
What is HDTV ? a heavy-duty television ?

It stands for High Definition Television. Standard TV's have 480 lines of resolution; HD has 1080 lines for a much sharper picture. There is also an in-between resolution of 720 lines which is very good.

HD got its life when our former president of the U.S., Bill Clinton, signed a telecommunications law approximately 10 years ago that by the year 2006, every television station broadcasting in the U.S. had to switch to an all-digital signal. Digital broadcasts require less power and can travel further. Well, our Congress pushed that back to 2008 now. It's expensive for stations to convert but the prices of the equiment are coming down. Since HD broadcasts are 100% digital, it's only been recently that anyone can receive them in a lot of places. The reason the president made this law was to get a jump on other countries in the world, to show that we can be technologically advanced before any other country (read: puppiesan). It was a good idea but it's just been taking longer than expected. That's why not too many people have HDTV's in the U.S. (estimated at roughly 7%). But that will change in the next few years. And that's sort of why I started this thread...to get a good cross-section of how many people here are receiving HD signals on a regular basis.

Can you receive any U.S. broadcasts, or are you too far south of the border?

Reply #16
Eric, I have a sony WS 55" HDTV, and use our time warner cables (pioneer) HDTV DVR, we love it! I get ABC, NBC, CBS, ESPN and National Geographic as well, sports in HD (Nascar, NHL, etc.) is awsome. I have had to replace the DVR reciever twice as the hard drives don't seem to last, but that is a simple trade in..

Reply #17
Quote from: weasle;109182
I take it you've never seen Hero or Battlestar Galactica.....

He's not into shows like that.  He's just pissed that there is no HD Spongebob Squarepants...
-John Fordham

1993 Cougar XR7 302 HO AOD
245,000 miles and still running strong

2005 F-150 FX4 SuperCab 5.4L

Reply #18
Quote from: weasle;109182
I take it you've never seen Hero or Battlestar Galactica.....

I take it you never got the dvd's ...

Better sound and picture and I dont have to wait... season 1, 2 and 2.5 are mine. ;-)

Hero... eh, didnt get into it

Reply #19
Quote from: Johnny Cougar;109312
He's not into shows like that.  He's just pissed that there is no HD Spongebob Squarepants...

I know, what's the deal with that...:pbb:

Reply #20
Quote from: EricCoolCats;109306
That's why not too many people have HDTV's in the U.S. (estimated at roughly 7%).

HD TVs have been on the market since '99, and virtually all big screens since '02 have been HD capable. Few had the HD tuner so those need a converter to get HD. So some how I'm doubting that 7% figure... Maybe only 7% are actually watching the HD programs, but judging from the amount of HD sets I serviced(and its been a year and a half) I'd estimate there is at least a 50% saturation at this point...

Do I have one... Nope... Yea they are impressive, but I watch maybe a hour per week... As long as the '96 Hitachi 50" works as well as it does, I ain't ever buying one... I also have a 35" from '86, one of the very first 35s sold, it's still going strong...

Reply #21
Quote from: EricCoolCats;109306

Can you receive any U.S. broadcasts, or are you too far south of the border?

Actually my internet/cable provider offers HDTV, but still is very expensive. I am living too far from the border (like 700 miles or so....). And the TV´s HD capable are ultra expensive,too....
1985 Mercury Cougar V6
1989 F-200 V8
1996 Explorer V6
2001 F-150

Reply #22
I have 2 HDTV got stupid w/the wife w/the credit cards at PC Richards 60 Sony LCD projection in my basp00get 42 plasma in the living room almost paid them off LOL real happy w/HDTV channels they come for free w/ Long island cable though I wish there was more channels there a lot that are available on dish that I don’t get but they are free. And they are real nice watching DVD’s especially w/the surround sound.
 One recommendation is be careful buying plasma in less then a year I’m on my 3rd one first one was the Philips and it had auto picture fit  but it always looked funny and the speakers were no-good so they came to my house took it and 2 weeks later I got it back all scratched up. The service man apologized and called his supervisor. Well PC Richards said go to the store and choose one equal or less value so I got the Samsung sound was nice picture was nice but when I when to HD channels or anything in widescreen there was a shadow of the borders still there and I was upset so I complained and I guess being my 2nd set the store manager came to my house and again he said that shouldn’t happen so I’m on my 3rd  it’s a LG its lasted the longest it took 3 months to burn that shadow like image in when I’m on widescreen. So I’m upset again not with PC Richards cause I haven’t complained yet but with the plasma I general. Maybe LCD flat screen is the way to go not plasma. Good thing I bought the warranty.