Skip to main content
Topic: Header Help (Read 5847 times) previous topic - next topic

Header Help

Reply #30
Ok here are a couple pics. I think I remember what I had to do now.

First off you can see how I bent the shift linkage in. the picture is taken from the front. Also in the first pic if you look just past the shift linkage in the background you can see where the cable anchor bracket portrudes down and why I had to raise the bracket. It looks like a grinder might work also.

The second pic you can see just above the top nut where the original bracket hole is.

The bracket sits on 2 studs and slides off towards the rear. On the bottom you can see I used a big fender washer to hold the bottom of the bracket in place. That's because once you relocate the bracket higher it doesnt extend far enough down to hit the bottom stud. It looks like I used a nylock nut on the bottom stud so it wont ever back off. You definitely dont want that bracket to ever come loose. Hope this helps.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 5.0 Turbocoupe (Katrina), 87 5.0 Sport (Rita)

Header Help

Reply #31
Oh, and one more thing. I looked at your pics and it looks like your header/h-pipe  ishiznitting the bell housing. You should be able to rotate it and clock it a little different (as long as it isnt spot welded). I think the easiest way would be to un bolt your headers from the heads so they're loose then get your h-pipe bolts started but dont tighten them yet. Same thing with your cat back pipes. unbolt your lers from thier hangers and maybe the tail pipe hangers too so you can move them around and get them started. Then once everything is in place and all the nuts and bolts are started start tightening with the headers and work your way back.

Obviously you'll have to remove the h-pipe again anyway to deal with your tranny clearance issues (do this before tightening the headers). After looking down there again at what I did, I think I had to pull the h-pipe back off to get to that linkage bracket. Cause I dont see how I would've got it off with that big ass pipe in the way.

So once again, good luck with it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 5.0 Turbocoupe (Katrina), 87 5.0 Sport (Rita)

Header Help

Reply #32
Semi related question; steering shaft clearance. I have the same issue with motor mount hitting on FRPP stainless shorties, but I also cant get them to clear the steering shaft. Is it just me?

not to sound like a di_ _, but..

Reply #33
Have you considered that these just don't fit? I Just ( like an hour ago installed a set of POLISHED Stainless, yes stainless) shorties that fit better than ANY set of headers I've ever installed in my lifetime. ( & that's quite a few) They are available on EBAY at fatrodders rod parts, I got them for $189 + shipping ($20) I'll post pic.s as soon as I can. They're beautiful and NON magnetic, ( aka 300 series stainless steel best rust resistance) and they fit so easilly I couldn't believe it, I've paid twice that for headers that were merely coated and required a similar butcher job.  Personally, I'd back up dump those and get a set that fits, whether they're these ones or not.