Skip to main content
Topic: 5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade (Read 24774 times) previous topic - next topic

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #30
nothing seems like its going to be a quick upgrade with this…..on another note, My fuel lines are coming up on the passenger side.. I thought they were on the drivers side, until I got it parked in my shop for the winter to investigate the situation.. I guess thats a plus. I had to take a break from that project for a couple months, but I did locate some of the parts I will need from Graham, and Vinnie.. I have another explorer upper already, so now, I'm thinking If I have to change the cam I will go that route if it saves trouble in the long run. I got a guy that can do it for me if needed
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #31
and I still don't know if its a roller motor or not. And I don't know if it's ever been swapped in the past.. guess I have to do more investigating.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #32
Mid-late '80's F-Series pickups had roller blocks, but NON-roller camshafts.....In fact 1994 was the first year for a roller cam in an F-series 302 (Some sources say 1992 so stay safe and go with 1989 or 1990 as a reference point when ordering stuff).  A major difference is the fact that they were batch/bank fire as opposed to SEFI.  The distributor will have the correct gear.  I would venture to guess that there is a difference in the PIP setup.  Perhaps it would be possible to swap an SEFI PIP into this particular distributor.  Anyone know for sure if this would work or even if it would need to be swapped?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #33
Quote from: daminc;429755
and I still don't know if its a roller motor or not. And I don't know if it's ever been swapped in the past.. guess I have to do more investigating.

Unless it's been swapped it isn't roller, possibly has a roller block though as they were phased into all lines during 1985 production...

All you have to do is measure a push rod, 6.80" is non-roller, 6.25" were used with roller cams...

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #34
My 85 block came with a non roller cam, but had the correct roller block.

Id buy a cheap h.o. motor, pull the camshaft, engine harness, and what ever else you need, once you verify its a roller block.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #35
think I found the last of my EFI parts.... will be investigating the whole distributer situation soon...hope to get this swapped before it gets warm
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #36
I've also got a roller-specific (steel gear) distributor, or 4....
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #37
getting back to the distributer....
why do I need to change the distributer and gear it if it already has an EEC IV TFI, and I'm not changing the cam?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #38
Quote from: daminc;445781
getting back to the distributer....
why do I need to change the distributer and gear it if it already has an EEC IV TFI, and I'm not changing the cam?
Gear material matches cam, not the type injection system, do not change it... AFAIK your current dist should be fine, it just produces a ign pulse to operate coil and send pulse to ECM, same in either system...

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #39
Tom, is the PIP the same from batch fire to SEFI or is there a difference?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #40
Quote from: V8Demon;445784
Tom, is the PIP the same from batch fire to SEFI or is there a difference?

To be sure I checked PIP for each system, same part number...

As long as we're not talking mass air or a HO SEFI that requires the 13726548 HO firing order cam, should be no problem... With the 15426378 stock firing order 5.0 cam, all that can be used(or at least should be) is the SO system that has 14 Lb inj...

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #41
one last question I have ...
Do I need to swap the fuel pump for a better one?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #42
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;445783
Gear material matches cam, not the type injection system, do not change it... AFAIK your current dist should be fine, it just produces a ign pulse to operate coil and send pulse to ECM, same in either system...

I believe the "vane" in the SEFI distributer has one tooth a different size to identify cylinder #1.
It makes the distributer act as a CCP sensor.
 This is so the EEC can synchronize the injectors with the cylinder with the open intake valve.

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #43
I know you're correct on the SEFI but would not the batch fire system also require reference to #1??  If it started firing injectors on the first tooth that passed through the PIP could just as easily have them 180* out of sequence as in time.... Would still run but not very well...

If they are different would be easy enough to replace with the correct vane disc, as it's only held in place by two screws...

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #44
Cfi also fires into the intake rather then each individual injector.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com