Skip to main content
Topic: 5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade (Read 24948 times) previous topic - next topic

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #60
Quote from: daminc;445854
I'm very confused about this now
Sorry for all the confusion.
On your CFI the injectors are pulsed without regard to the position of the crankshaft.
86 and up 5.0's have SEFI. The S stands for sequential and means the ECC pulses the injectors in firing order sequence.
It pulses each injector when its associated cylinder has its intake valve open and on its intake stroke.

The SEFI distributor has one PIP pulse that is a different width than the other seven. The EEC uses this to get in sync with the crankshaft.

Does your distributor have the round rotor with two screws holding it on?
If so, reread TurboCoupe50's post# 53.

The standard armature is probably what you have.
The signature PIP armature is what you need.

The armatures are what your rotor bolts onto.

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #61
Quote from: daminc;445858
I think I see where everyone is going with this.....

I am not going HO
I am not changing the cam
I am just making my engine SEFI with everything that it already has in it.

so the question is...will my distributer work adding the upper and lower intake, changing the wiring harness, and using a standard SD computer with a fuel rail and 14# injectors

Well. No. The SEFI computer uses a different PIP module and vane arrangement in the distributor than the distributor you currently have in your 85. So basically you need a distributor from an 86-93 5.0 Mustang, 86-88 5.0 Thunderbird/Cougar 5.0, or 86-92 Lincoln Mark VII. Then you'll need to have the steel gear on that distributor swapped to a cast iron gear like you have on the distributor currently in your 85 Convertible. Once you do that you'll be good to go.

Edit: I'm wrong. The PIP sensor is the same from 84 and up. You just need to swap the CFI vane in the distributor to a SEFI vane.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #62
so is this part able to be swapped in the dist? or will it be something that is not going to just bolt right in?
has anybody ever done this before?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #63
I feel like I'm pioneering this swap....lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #64
Quote from: daminc;445862
so is this part able to be swapped in the dist? or will it be something that is not going to just bolt right in?
has anybody ever done this before?

Theoretically you should be able to just change the part by removing the rotor and the two screws below it holding the "vane" assembly on. Theoretically.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #65
Quote from: thunderjet302;445866
Theoretically you should be able to just change the part by removing the rotor and the two screws below it holding the "vane" assembly on. Theoretically.
I'll give it a go
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #66
If you have the round rotor, I don't think it can be removed.

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #67
Quote from: thunderjet302;445866

Correct, at least theoretically... :hick:

For that matter with a known width one could use a dremel and cut the finger down...  I'll have to look again but I believe the smaller finger is offset, meaning the material was removed from one side, would have to be that config or there could be two #1 cylinders...

Quote from: softtouch;445868

Correct, at least theoretically... :giggle:

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #68
Quote from: softtouch;445868

what does the round rotor look like
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #69
I'm also willing to take a dremel to it too...whatever it takes to remedy the situation
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #70
Looks like this... But isn't listed for 1985...
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/bwd-distributor-rotor-d204p/5202558-P?searchTerm=distributor+rotor+button

Still apparently there two rotors for '85 or maybe Advance just has both rotors listed... One is located by the opening in the vane disc(type the one I pictured uses), the other apparently has a flat on the dist shaft that sets position...

I'd say it's very unlikely vane discs would swap between the two styles...

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #71
this is what I have
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #72
I suppose  tomorrow, I could try to swap the one from my 87 to see if it fits or bolts up to the 85 dist
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #73
Quote from: daminc;445876
this is what I have

I see two screws on the top of vane plate, appears to be replaceable...

Pull the rotor off and check to see if it has a finger at rear that fits into opening on vane plate... If so thats the common one most, if not all use from '86 up...

5.0 CFI to SEFI Upgrade

Reply #74
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;445869
Correct, at least theoretically... :hick:

For that matter with a known width one could use a dremel and cut the finger down...  I'll have to look again but I believe the smaller finger is offset, meaning the material was removed from one side, would have to be that config or there could be two #1 cylinders...
I remember reading somewhere that the leading or trailing edge of the vane is used for ignition timing. So it is important to cut off the correct side of the correct vane. So you don't have one plug out of time.