Skip to main content
Topic: Paint -- Finally. (Read 8611 times) previous topic - next topic

Paint -- Finally.

Reply #30
Shhhhhhhhhhhh...... It's a secret ;)
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Paint -- Finally.

Reply #31
Did you see the lights that I posted on your "Parts wanted" thread.Found some New ones for you.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Paint -- Finally.

Reply #32
Congrats on the new paint! Hopefully it'll be up to your expectations. There's nothing worse than expecting it to be a certain way and it not being what you had hoped for.

Paint -- Finally.

Reply #33
It better not be shinier then mine. lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Paint -- Finally.

Reply #34
Not much to report yet.  It's been slow going.  Front end is apart and sanded down awaiting primer.  I ordered some inner trim molding inlay in flat black instead of silver.  The hood scoops will be painted to match. 

The car will remain with the 10 hole rims as well, albeit with a twist.....think shiny, think black.
I've ordered some mechanical goodies to upgrade as well.  New trans-cooler and a 160 t-stat along with a new valve body from SilverFox over at Click-click racing......My current valve body has decided it wants to shift into 4th even in D @ WOT.......No bueno.....Trans-Go's suggested fix leaves me feeling leery....(it's caused by a gummed up 3/4 acspoogeulator causing a pressure spike and Trans-Go says to drill out the hole to 13/64" -- the check ball is 14/64"......I shudder to think what would happen if it became stuck.....)
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Paint -- Finally.

Reply #35
I will be going with a Silverfox VB when I do it.  Let me know how you like it.

What about your "old" taillights?
Mike

Paint -- Finally.

Reply #36
Well -- here's what I have to work with.  It went to a friend for bodywork and paint.  He asked when I wanted it back.  I told him around Thanksgiving.  I drove it on a flatbed to get it there.  My friend told me I might have to give it some gas to get on the truck since the ground was wet.  It idled right up the ramps. LOL.

The good news -- window channels are perfect, frame rails are clean, and the floor is SOLID.  The old carpet was dry.  The front fenders were in much better condition than I had antited.  Almost perfect. Trunk was solid too.  I was leery about the spare tire well on the left side as I've spilled NUMEROUS things down there over the years.  It was a mini storage area for when I worked construction.  Seems the gear oil I spilled down there even earlier worked as a corrosion preventitive.

As you can see there was some surface rust around the handles and locks as well as the number pad for the keyless entry.  It disappears with a quick sanding.  I was expecting it as well as what was under the emblems.  The primer you see on the trunk is where the holes were welded closed as there will be no emblems -- stock emblems anyway.  One will go on the left, but that's a surprise.

I WAS NOT expecting the left rear quarter and driver door to be as bad as they were.  The door is clean on the inside, but has a wave.  On the inside of the quarter in front of the wheel well you can see where the dent had been pulled and bondoed -- and not very well at that.  It was REALLY evident once the moulding came off.  Pics.......

Looks straight, right?  WRONG.

A look down the passenger side:

Now back to the driver side:

My poor, dirty motor....

The car is getting completely stripped due to the fact that there are FOUR layers of paint/primer....

The wheels will go for their treatment in a couple of weeks as well so the car will be rolling on 2 spares up front and 2 pony rims out back for a while. 

I'm STILL amazed out how light these doors are without glass and trim.

I wonder what she'd run in the quarter as she sits right now if I swapped on a set of DR's.  :hick:

Paint -- Finally.

Reply #37
Quote from: Scott D;327116
Dang straight. Black cats rock ...

black cats do rock.. that's why i have 4 :D hahah

Paint -- Finally.

Reply #38
Isn't it amazing what you find when you start body work... Good to hear your strippin it all down. Wait until they find the rest of the filler on the car. Hey, how come my inspection stickers are different then yours?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Paint -- Finally.

Reply #39
I'm required to pass emissions down here still.

Wait until they find the rest of the filler on the car.

So far looks like just the door and behind it in the quarter.  Hope it stays that way....

Paint -- Finally.

Reply #40
Ahhh I see now... Mine has all the months, and a big E on mine for exempt.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Paint -- Finally.

Reply #41
The car has had it's last emissions test from what I understand.

Reliable sources are saying that they are phasing out the OBD-I emission test machines in NYS and going to a safety only inspection for any vehicle made prior to 1996.  The reason?  Cost.
A close friend has one of the old machines.  To break even on them it costs something around $7000 a year with the service contracts for the machine included.  Inspections are $37 and the stickers cost $6 a piece...... that equates to $31 profit.....About 225 inspections to break even.......IF NOTHING BREAKS ON THE MACHINE.  My buddy did less than 100 emissions inspections on cars older than 1996 last year.  This is a VERY profitable shop with 4 full time employees and quite the considerable overhead for mortgage of the property and taxes on the same (how's $25K a year sound for about 1/5th of an acre? IN property taxes).

The old machines are KILLING businesses.
I'm sure every fox Mustang with emissions still in place won't have it if this is indeed true. LOL!

Paint -- Finally.

Reply #42
Illinois stopped emission testing pre 1996 cars in 2005 because it was costing them too much to maintain the test machines. When I redid the engine in the 88 in 2007 all the emissions stuff except the EGR went in the trash;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Paint -- Finally.

Reply #43
Yep, my 87 will have no emissions testing, or installed items (including cats). my smog pump is still on, but it leads to nowhere until I delete that.. The vert will be next in line when I do that project. The safety inspection cost me $7 for the vert, If I remember correctly.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Paint -- Finally.

Reply #44
you have to pay for inspection? is that a private shop or state inspection facility?