Skip to main content
Topic: Paint -- Finally. (Read 8672 times) previous topic - next topic

Paint -- Finally.

Reply #45
Illinois doesn't even inspect cars. All they do is emissions testing.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Paint -- Finally.

Reply #46
Quote from: turbo_88_XR7;338552
you have to pay for inspection? is that a private shop or state inspection facility?

That's New York Sate ..need it for registration and insurance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Paint -- Finally.

Reply #47
It's a state mandated inspection, but currently the inspections are performed by private shops.  Price for the inspection is controlled by the state.

FWIW -- I've seen a NJ inspection performed......It's a contributing factor as to why I kept my NY plates when I was stationed in NJ while in the Air Force.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Paint -- Finally.

Reply #48
No vehicle testing of any kind here in Oklahoma.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Paint -- Finally.

Reply #49
Sounds like you are doing it right by stripping it down.  Hope it turns out great man!
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Paint -- Finally.

Reply #50
Quote from: vinnietbird;338679
No vehicle testing of any kind here in Oklahoma.

it's the same way in parts of florida, i think it goes by the county your car is registered in.. a florida native can confirm that if it's true lol

Paint -- Finally.

Reply #51
gonna consider doing your fuel pump access door now? maybe you should consider it since it is simply the best time to do it.

Paint -- Finally.

Reply #52
Quote from: thunderjet302;338558
Illinois doesn't even inspect cars. All they do is emissions testing.

In some cities in Illinois, I am in the Rockford area west of Chicago, they test, we dont,lol.
2015 Ram 3500 MegaCab Diesel

1986 Thunderbird Elan 302 Crate, x303 heads, e cam, 24lb injectors, gt40 intake, WC T-5, TC rear w/ 3.55 gears, CHP control arms,cobra r wheels.

Paint -- Finally.

Reply #53
Illinois does emissions testing on 1996 and newer cars. They do not do inspections for things like working parking brakes, bumpers, or holes in the car however ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Paint -- Finally.

Reply #54
Well, the left side and roof are stripped to the metal.  Found some minor surface rust.....already taken care of.  Funny thing -- removal of the bondo on the left side showed the door and panel behind it to be STRAIGHTER......Whoever laid that bondo was not very experienced with it.
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Paint -- Finally.

Reply #55
Quote from: V8Demon;341430
Well, the left side and roof are stripped to the metal.  Found some minor surface rust.....already taken care of.  Funny thing -- removal of the bondo on the left side showed the door and panel behind it to be STRAIGHTER......Whoever laid that bondo was not very experienced with it.
I went through the same thing.. Don't know why people fill things that don't need it. I found the same on both doors. 1 little ding turned into coating the whole door..
Are they going to use a surfacer to flatten all the panels?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Paint -- Finally.

Reply #56
I think people watch those shows on TV where they cover everything and sand it all down.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Paint -- Finally.

Reply #57
The problem is....  they always build things up to much, instead of just filling the low spots
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Paint -- Finally.

Reply #58
Not much to report......the car has reached a point where everything done now will be adding to as opposed to stripping down. 

I found a nice keyless entry pad in black as opposed to chrome that will go nicely.  I thought I was in the clear with it as far as wiring, but the connector is in fact different (bigger, but laid out the same) and the wires are shorter so I'll be splicing a little.  The good news on that is the wire colors are all the same with respect to position so it will be relatively easy.

For the first time since I've owned the car every seam now lines up perfectly.  The hood was always a bit high in the back.  No more.  The doors close right proper and do not sag either.  The passenger door was always good.  The driver door started the downward drift about 2 years ago.....

It's snowing here today and they're expecting 11-18 inches to fall.  I guess it's good the car will be inside for another 10 weeks or so....

Paint -- Finally.

Reply #59
Yay........
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook