Skip to main content
Topic: X vs H pipe, any benefit over the other? (Read 3997 times) previous topic - next topic

X vs H pipe, any benefit over the other?

Just wondering as to what anyone would recomend.
I have a 1987 mercury cougar LS with a V8 5.0 302 EFI.

wondering what would be the best set up for my cougar.
decided that maybe since it'll be a while before i get some cash saved for a better car due to school (school comes 1st). I might as well build up the cougar more.

so what would be better for a loud exhaust set up? H pipe or X pipe? anything i should look into? theres some videos on youtube with5.0 mustangs that have X or H pipe set ups with, loud mouth tips?

dont know much about domestics so I'm hoping for some pointers and advice on the matter.
I can get an exhaust job done through APE. basicaly I want something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG3ujxlTmFM

nice loud aggressive sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L2vg9gZ_tY

Thanks everyone.
also thinking of getting the classic bullit wheels.

theres a local shop here in town, the owner said he can give me a deal for a custom pipes from the cat and back. told me he would give me a choice of doing either X or H my choice for about $300. said he wouldnt touch the cat but would If i take it off before hand.

some people said somethign about SLP Loudmouths
also posted on a local site, someone recomended off road X pipes.
::""Off-road x pipe on modulars IMO. i have No experience with the 5.0's. I'd still do an or-x prolly. Gonna be loud, aggressive, exotic, shagual"::

Reply #1
on a 302, id go wth true duals
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1979 Mercury Cougar X R 7
White w/ Maroon Vynl Top
Maroon Interior
302 BIG HP IN PROGRESS

Reply #2
I would not worry about wasting money on an exaust with the stock 150hp 5.0L.
It gets expensive quick, as you HAVE to change out the stock exaust manifolds to shorty headers,then get o2 sensor extenders to reinstall the o2s(wires are not long enough).
Then you can install an H-X pipe but it will not bolt up to the stock rear tales so again more money, and the benefits are minor on that stock engine(5-10hp if that).
If you just want sound and don't care about performance,cut off the stock lers and run straight through pipes(cheapest,easiest and cheesiest solution for noise).
If your looking for more power on the cheap,start picking up the mustangs 5.0L HO stock parts(upper intake,throttle body,injectors,computer,heads and cam) then worry about the exaust.
You can get all of the above parts for cheaper than the exaust you speak of and make over 200hp even with the stock setup on your car.

As for the wheels,it'll be dam expensive to get stock bullits on their.
The stock bolt pattern for bullits is 5x4.5"(5 lug)your cougar is 4x4.5"(i think it's 4.5",4 lug anyways) which means you'll have to change the front spindles over to 94-95 mustang as well as it's bearings,rotors and calipers.
For the rear you'll either have to change out the axles and drums or the whole rear end.
There are much cheaper solutions(newer style rims)now in 4lug available but not bullits.
I know your new to these cars but they do get expensive to change over to what most mustangs already have stock.
Due to the fact that when they where built ford could not have anything compete with it's precious mustang(not the sarcasim) so they where built with a low output v8(SO V8) and py suspension parts not geared for performance unless you bought an xr7 or turbo coupe.

Reply #3
how about those SLP loudmouths?
would that give me the tone im looking for possibly?

the guy at the local shop said he can make me a custom Fit X or H pipe my choice and if i wanted he would make them OR pipes.

what about just the x or H setup with teh SLP's?

Reply #4
Install some stock Fox Mustang headers,then buy a bolt on H or X pipe and finish the exhaust.I like the X-Pipe better,but that's my own opinion.The lers will have a big play in to what the car sounds like either way you go.If you drive the car a lot,make sure what noise levels you can tolerate for a long time.I drove my Sport with dumps on it for a few months and got sick of it.Too loud for too long.I sometimes do highway driving and like to hear the stereo as well.The drone drove me crazy.It all depends on what you like on your car though.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #5
well I was thinking about the Off road X pipes and leave it at that or possibly the Xpipes with SLP loudmouths. 

Would like something that has a nice tone that is kind of loud at normal driving but will Roar agressivly at high RPMS.

(looking to see if they make bullit's with 4 lug applications.  dad also said ot check out some old centerline wheels.) the solid dish with the five 3" holes.

Reply #6
He don't listen to well do he????????????
They don't make bullits in 4lug at all, and the exaust is just for noise not performance at your levels.

Reply #7
I totally agree with dominator, spending $300 on exhaust is a waste given the fact that you have a stock 150hp 5.0.  I did it on my car when it still had the SO 5.0 in it, but I had all the stuff laying around, it didn't cost me a dime.

But, if you insist on doing exhaust, I would recommend an H-pipe...everything I've seen with X-pipes sound higher pitched.  And stay away from SLP Loudmouths...you'd be spending a lot of money for a shiny hollow can...an old coffee can would literally have the same effect.

Good luck,
Don
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

Reply #8
lol stubborness shows determination lol.

how about the old centerlines?  solid with the five 3" holes.  dad was showing me those.  Or are those 5 lug only aswell?

any recomendations on the flowmasters?  super40, turbo etc?

Reply #9
Dynomax super turbo....
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #10
Random thought.

yes/no/ maybe? 

longtubes+xpipe+magnaflow (unsure of which magnaflow)

cant seem to find any videos of 5.0's that are mostly stock except for the exhaust mod so i may get an idea of what.

would love to have the extremely loud agressive roar when I gun it.  but still have a good tone that i not too loud at normal driving conditions so i can talk to company in the cabin.

(appologies if i seem....needy on the info.)  1st car, never really read into domestics, though always liked muscle and the sound.

thanks a million to all that helped with info since my first day. ^.^

Reply #11
i have an X you can liston here this before i put on my s, its still loud though. but you might also be looking for the lump of a cam
http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii266/BillyInnes/?action=view¤t=MOV01803.flv

Reply #12
As far as not doing it because you have the lo-po 150 horse engine,I disagree.If you ever decide to go H.O power (do the H.O upgrade),you'll need better exhaust anyway,do it and you'll be ready for further upgrades down the road.If you want cheap,as I stated,get some factory Mustang headers (usually $20-$30 a set),and a factory H-Pipe and hollow out the cats.You can get those same parts from a Mark VII as well,then finish off the pipes to the rear of the car at any decent ler shop.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #13
So now for the money your talking about with long tubes and a complete exaust for a loss of low end torque and no real hp gain do you want to go faster or just sound like it????????????????????????????????????????? as that will not increase the speed of your car what so ever(personally i like to go faster rather than have every honda civic beat my loud low hp v8 and get laughed at).
Your obviously asking for advice and several people have said don't bother with the exaust but instead make the engine at least mustang spec, you have not heeded that but just ignored it.
You do not have a 5.0L as you put it,yes in displacement it is the same but it is not anywhere near the mustang 5.0L that you so covet.
Your v8 only puts out the hp of a honda 4cyl.
So instead of trying to make your low hp v8 sound like a high hp v8 why not make the v8 perform like a v8 then put an exaust on it.

As far as what vinn said about doing the ho upgrade and needing the exaust,he is right in some sense but you can do the ho upgrade stuff and not do the exaust and still have over 200hp with the y pipe and manifolds.
50hp is better than 0-5hp!

Reply #14
Quote from: vinnietbird;283545
As far as not doing it because you have the lo-po 150 horse engine,I disagree.If you ever decide to go H.O power (do the H.O upgrade),you'll need better exhaust anyway,do it and you'll be ready for further upgrades down the road.If you want cheap,as I stated,get some factory Mustang headers (usually $20-$30 a set),and a factory H-Pipe and hollow out the cats.You can get those same parts from a Mark VII as well,then finish off the pipes to the rear of the car at any decent ler shop.

IINES I like the sound of the exhaust yours has. not extremely loud but not quiet either. something thats loud when you gun it but not so loud at normal driving conditions where you cant carry on a conversation in the cabin.

Vinnie, ont he headers im suspecting from atleast a 85-89 mustang correct?  I know most people wouldnt go for this but what if I grab a set of headers from a pick-n-pull?    sorry for the ignorance but what exactly is H.O?)
But best bet/ well check list for things to grab at a pick-n-pull (if recomended getting there)  stock 85-89 mustang headers, stock H-pipe. 

would getting these from a yard be a good idea as long as they seem in decent condition?  Is there anything else I should look for to grab?  Does everything line back up perfectly?

Ebay? (i know buyer beware) but would this be a better idea? found these just browsing.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/COUGAR-MUSTANG-1986-93-SHORTY-V8-HEADERS-289-302-5-0_W0QQitemZ370156866242QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item562f118ac2&_trksid=p4506.m20.l1116

also found some patriot headers, all seem to run about $110-160.  for what its worth would it be the better idea to just get new replacement headers or should some headers form a yard be alright?