Skip to main content
Topic: X vs H pipe, any benefit over the other? (Read 4231 times) previous topic - next topic

X vs H pipe, any benefit over the other?

Reply #15
H.O. stands for high output. http://www.coolcats.net/tech/advanced/ho_conversion.html

http://www.coolcats.net/tech/advanced/50dualexhaust.html

Read up.

If anything your going to lose power with a set of long tubes, they're impractical for the car and a PITA to install from what I hear. This is the setup I'm going to do on my car, I think it should fit your budget.

Set of Mustang exhaust manifolds, they're factory but they look aftermarket, I'm not too sure of what years their on but look at every fox body you can find at the yard. -$30

H-pipe. eBay; but I'm cheap so swap meets or junk yards.

lers, whatever the hell you want. I hear the Summit brand are better quality and sound nicer than Flowmaster 40's, besides everyone and their Grandma has a set of those. Go classic if ya want (Cherry Bomb glasspacks), or Thrush or something! Theres so many choices, my old man has a set of Dynomaxes on his pickup but I'm not a fan of them, his truck sounds like a  diesel when its a cammed 383.

And if ya want, you could get tails, I'm just gonna dump mine though. As I don't race in this car, its just a cruiser, treat it as one.

Go around to ler websites, they usually have sound clips.

'88 Mercury Cougar LS, 302, Project Car - "The Coug"
'83 Ford Thunderbird Heritage, 302, Summer Ride, - "The Bambi Killer"
'86 Chevrolet S10, Daily Driver -  "The Black Beater"

Reply #16
Quote from: KidCat;283534

would love to have the extremely loud agressive roar when I gun it.  but still have a good tone that i not too loud at normal driving conditions so i can talk to company in the cabin.

^.^

well, if you want a REALLY agressive roar coming from the car just take the egr valve off and run it like that, but it wouldnt help with the trying to talk to company thing.
heres a thought, have you looked into those power operated exhaust devertor things? it works kinda like a exhaust block off plate.
weld it to the exhaust, wire it up and when you want some noise just press a button and when you dont press it again.
i think they are less than 150 bucks
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

Reply #17
Good write up and good knowledge however there are some errors in Eric's writeup.
It does say they are optional component changes but they are not at all required.
The idle air,egr valve and bap sensors work perfectly from the SO to the HO,heck i'm still using these stock SO parts on my 500hp Supercharged HO with not a problem and it is also mass air converted.
I really would not say that the upper intake and throttlebody are optional.
I'd say they are a must for proper performance+there super easy and cheap/cheap to find,i threw my old one out as no one wanted it.
If your looking for the HO cam and injectors to get started i have a set cheap,pm if interested.
After that all you'll need is the heads,upper intake setup and eec, that can be had for under 200 bucks.

check list/

Reply #18
k so i may go to the local yard tomorrow to look for parts They definately carry the older mustangs, lots of them.
so as for a check list, i'll need to look for and get.

mustang: headers, H-pipe,  (anything else?)
 my choice of lers.

right?

Reply #19
Grab the header bolts as well,and the h-pipe hanger from between the tranny mount and tranny.It holds up the factory H-Pipe.I never used one for mine,but,it can't hurt.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #20
Quote from: vinnietbird;283640
Grab the header bolts as well,and the h-pipe hanger from between the tranny mount and tranny.It holds up the factory H-Pipe.I never used one for mine,but,it can't hurt.

I just used the factory one. The other H-pipe hanger just, uh, hangs there :hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #21
While under those Stangs,maybe one will have some nice lers for you.I use 40 series Flowmasters.Sounds deep and a little mean at idle,not too loud,but when you hit the gas,it roars.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #22
when i go to the pick-n-pull. If i find some mustang headers and H pipe. will there be anything else that i need to swap the pipes?

my cougar is only single exhaust.  just wanting to make sure i know all what i need before i go grab it.

all i know to grab is  86-89 mustang headers with header bolts and stock H-pipe with hanger.  anything else I need?

Reply #23
I think that covers it, unless someone else has a suggestion. Bring a can of Break Away or WD-40, those bolts can be a bitch sometimes.

'88 Mercury Cougar LS, 302, Project Car - "The Coug"
'83 Ford Thunderbird Heritage, 302, Summer Ride, - "The Bambi Killer"
'86 Chevrolet S10, Daily Driver -  "The Black Beater"

Reply #24
Actually,'86 to '93 Mustangs.Once you acquire an H-Pipe and headers,you will need a ler shop to complete the rest.They'll have to add a little pipe between the lers and H-Pipe,and from the lers back.Not too expansive.Getting the parts is the big part.After that,you can store them until you have the rest of the parts then you're golden.

Reply #25
might sound ignorant but i thought the cougar had manifolds?
so everything bolts up perfectly I just need an exhaust shop to take care of getting it on after i get the H pipe.

Reply #26
Your cougar does have manifolds and a mustang h or x pipe will NOT bolt up to them.

Reply #27
I installed most all of mine by myself,but I had to have the exhaust shop lengthen the Stang tail pipes and lengthen the mid pipes for me.Nothing to it.I could've done it but I didn't want clamps anywhere.I like it welded with the factory ball and socket joints for removal and installation."Factory-like"

As stated above,your car has factory cast iron exhaust manifolds.The3 Mustangs have factory headers.

Reply #28
As stated above,your car has factory cast iron exhaust manifolds.The3 Mustangs have factory headers.

They can be had pretty cheap too, got mine off of ebay for like 33 bucks shipped.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #29
I love how the mis-information about longtube headers flies around...it comes up EVERY time an exhaust thread is started.

Longtube headers do NOT cause a drop in torque....it's the improper sizing of the primary tubes that DO cause a drop in torque.  That's not the header's fault, it's the person who wants huge 1 3/4" primaries on their HO with a CAI who is at fault.  When infact 1 5/8" primaries are just a hair too large for a stock HO...

It's like buying a cam thats WAY too big and then being unhappy with it because it's a slug with your stock 1800rpm stall convertor an 2.73 gears.

Picking the right parts isn't a -shoot when going aftermarket, you have to know what you're doing...or at least have a good idea...lol.

Definitely try to find a factory H-pipe and have the exhaust shop keep piping to 2 1/4" MAXIMUM...running 2 1/2" pipes with the SO 5.0 and an AOD will destroy torque and any hopes of decent fuel economy in stop-and-go driving.

You can also source the HO headers from Lincoln Mark VII's as well as their H-pipes, it's the same thing.  I believe on the Mark VII's, your looking for '87 or '88 up to '92.

Good luck,
Don
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads