Skip to main content
Topic: X vs H pipe, any benefit over the other? (Read 4193 times) previous topic - next topic

X vs H pipe, any benefit over the other?

Reply #45
What I mean is,they'll make a difference over stock parts easily,but between the H and X,I don't think you'd tell a difference.If you removed an off road H-Pipe,and replaced it with an off road X-Pipe,I think you'll hear a difference,but not feel a difference.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #46
Quote from: dominator;285229
Not sure about that,i always heard x pipes where better for low end torque.

I've heard the exact opposite... :dunno:
I've also heard that the X will usually be quieter....
Yet another interesting read:

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/exhaust_system_installation/index.html

....the guys had built a really trick system consisting of 2-½-inch tubing from the header collectors into the X-pipe, 3-inch out of the X flaring into 3½-inch tubing running for about 26 inches before necking back down into a pair of 3-inch lers with turn-downs. The theory behind this design is that it will keep the velocity of the exhaust gases moving quickly through the headers into the X-pipe to maximize the scavenging effect, while the larger-diameter tubing ahead of the lers prevents the gasses from stacking up as they pass through the lers to avoid excessive backpressure in the system.

;)
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #47
I agree that the X-Pipe would be quieter.....but,that kind of depends on the chosen lers in the end.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #48
Well, let's say that the headers and lers were unchanged then ;)
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #49
Well,in that case,I'd say the X-pipe would be more quiet than the H-Pipe............but you still wouldn't feel a difference between the two in the seat of the pants.LOL.

Reply #50
I'd like to see averaged HP/TQ numbers across 2500-6000 RPM between an x pipe set up for my current exhaust and my existing H-pipe.....

Over a span like that -- you WOULD feel a 10 average hp/tq difference.... ;)

Peak #'s are for advertising.....Average #'s are for driving:burnout:

Reply #51
That's a good question.I'd like to see the numbers as well.I'm sure that 5.0 mag or MMFF has done some kind of testing.I may try to find that afterwhile.I'm using the X-Pipe and like the sound better than the H-pipe I had.Send me your H-Pipe,and when I hit the dyno again I'll get the numbers and then send the H-Pipe back.........LOL.

Reply #52
They're both better than the stock Y pipe. Case solved :p
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #53
I can live with that.

Reply #54
Perhaps I should also add CRUSH BENT tubing. The stock setup is about as bad as you could get.

Exhaust manifolds - alright
Crush bent Y pipe - bad
Single small catalytic converter - horrible
Another Y pipe (88 Sport) - no worse off than earlier up the exhaust stream
Two pipes of whatever size and two lers - flow more than the first half of the exhaust could ever hope for. GREAT for scavenging though, similar to the concept in that Carcraft article.

X vs H is pretty much all preference or what you can get for cheap. I run an X just because it was dirt cheap and came with lers/high flow cats/piping. Unless you're pushing 400hp+, small restrictions won't be noticed anywhere but the dyno.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #55
Quote from: Seek;285308
Perhaps I should also add CRUSH BENT tubing. The stock setup is about as bad as you could get.

True.  It's amazing how far most exhaust systems have come.

The S197's have 2.5" mandrel bent stainless steel tubing from the factory.  Their systems flow VERY well -- including the stock lers. 
A ler swap on them is for sound only in most respects.  SOme of the aftermarket axle back ler kits have shown to flow less than the stock system :screwy:

Reply #56
Quote from: V8Demon;285358
True.  It's amazing how far most exhaust systems have come.

The S197's have 2.5" mandrel bent stainless steel tubing from the factory.  Their systems flow VERY well -- including the stock lers. 
A ler swap on them is for sound only in most respects.  SOme of the aftermarket axle back ler kits have shown to flow less than the stock system :screwy:

I've seen ler tests on the S197's...between stock, no ler and a slew of aftermarket stuff, there was maybe an 8hp difference and like amount of torque...on a car with a CAI, pulleys, and a tune.

Pretty much just a sound aspect as you said.
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads