Skip to main content
Topic: Let the questioning begin! (Read 12245 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Let the questioning begin!

Reply #60
Quote from: Ifixyawata
If I understand you right you want... Cheap, Emissions Legal dual exhaust that can be installed at home.

Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!! :bowdown:  :bowdown:
*sniff sniff*. That's exactly what i'm doing, the only deviations are that, i'm sticking with a stock SO 5.0 engine, and some of the parts are not terribly cheap. I do plan to put "headers" (did I get the context right this time?) on, so between those and the converter pipe it pushes the price up some. If I didn't live where there was any epa testing i'd in all likelyhood go your route (and possibly recruit ya to help me!). But alas I enjoy where I live and am willing to sacarfice and adapt as necessary. I'll look into the MAC flow tubes setup, tho i'm thinking that to get a high flow catalytic mustang h-pipe may be more costly than the stocker mark pipe. Which in all honesty I could just bash out either 2 or all 4 cats and still look legal. But i'd rather be safe than sorry. Besides I have a need to compensate for a few of the engine mods i'm brewing up
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Re: Let the questioning begin!

Reply #61
Well were i live we have strict emissions testing and my setup passes.
I have always seen it be cheaper to make all the Exhaust then to buy OEM stuff
pre-made and u end up with a better fit.  I know what your trying to do and thats one way of doing things but if money is tight i would look into all other ways of going.
What are the prices like were live?

Let the questioning begin!

Reply #62
nirvanagod,

What did you end up doing and how did it work out?
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]

Reply #63
Quote from: Cougars 2 go
nirvanagod,

What did you end up doing and how did it work out?

As much as i've tried, with everything else that's wrong with the car at the moment, i've been focusing on getting those "other" things caught up. Right now i've got suspension and engine work to take care first and foremost, if I get all that settled then I may go back and redo the exhaust. Keep in mind the key word is "may", as the car is showing signs of it's life in ohio. Also in parts alone, this project will run between $500-$700, and with a redone 88' style faux dual exhaust it might be less likely.

Reply #64
Quote from: nirvanagod
As much as i've tried, with everything else that's wrong with the car at the moment, i've been focusing on getting those "other" things caught up. Right now i've got suspension and engine work to take care first and foremost, if I get all that settled then I may go back and redo the exhaust. Keep in mind the key word is "may", as the car is showing signs of it's life in ohio. Also in parts alone, this project will run between $500-$700, and with a redone 88' style faux dual exhaust it might be less likely.

Ok, thanks for posting so quick.  I think I'm going to try this Catco H-pipe:

Summit:
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&autofilter=1&Ntt=4179&N=115&part=CTO%2D4179&autoview=sku&Ntk=KeywordSearch

The place you found:
http://www.fulllineexhaust.com/Catalogs/data/4179.html

I called this place and the guy was pretty helpful.  He said the 4166 and the 4179 had the same  ends where it hooks up to the headers so I am hoping both of these parts will hook up to the Ford factory headers because that is what I have.

Reply #65
Ok, thanks for posting so quick.  I think I'm going to try this Catco H-pipe:

Summit:
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&autofilter=1&Ntt=4179&N=115&part=CTO%2D4179&autoview=sku&Ntk=KeywordSearch

The place you found:
http://www.fulllineexhaust.com/Catalogs/data/4179.html

I called this place and the guy was pretty helpful.  He said the 4166 and the 4179 had the same  ends where it hooks up to the headers so I am hoping both of these parts will hook up to the Ford factory headers because that is what I have.

I would ask what "headers" do you have on your car? Are they the stock cougar/t-bird manifolds or mustang/mark vII headers?

Reply #66
I would ask what "headers" do you have on your car? Are they the stock cougar/t-bird manifolds or mustang/mark vII headers?

mustang/mark vII headers

Reply #67
Cool it should slide in without a problem. Also , you may want to look at the Walker Exhaust offering for the Lincoln h-pipe. I think it's like 4 bucks more at Advance Auto Parts, so you'd save money on shipping and if goes bad in 5 years you can just take it back to a local store. Oh, if you're interested in upgrading to an aftermarket header, Dynomax sell one specific to the Mark VII setup. Completely optional but I figured i'd throw that out there. If you go with the Catco model get some pics/measurements of it, and perhaps an opinion on how you like it!

Reply #68
Cool it should slide in without a problem. Also , you may want to look at the Walker Exhaust offering for the Lincoln h-pipe. I think it's like 4 bucks more at Advance Auto Parts, so you'd save money on shipping and if goes bad in 5 years you can just take it back to a local store. Oh, if you're interested in upgrading to an aftermarket header, Dynomax sell one specific to the Mark VII setup. Completely optional but I figured i'd throw that out there. If you go with the Catco model get some pics/measurements of it, and perhaps an opinion on how you like it!

I'm glad you said that.  I checked their web site and sure enough, they have it listed for $212 including shipping to my door!!! :banana:

Of course, in keeping with Cougar tradition, this part is not available in any of their stores or warehouses. :wtf:

Summit also does not have the Catco part they show on their site but claims they can get it from the manufacturer in two weeks then send it to my door.  We've had people order Suspension Techniques just to be placed on "backorder" indefinitely.  I wonder if the same is possible here.  The other catch?  That $208 part has a $75 shipping fee with it. :shoothead

Reply #69
I'm glad you said that.  I checked their web site and sure enough, they have it listed for $212 including shipping to my door!!! :banana:

Of course, in keeping with Cougar tradition, this part is not available in any of their stores or warehouses. :shoothead

Summit also does not have the Catco part they show on their site but claims they can get it from the manufacturer in two weeks then send it to my door.  We've had people order Suspension Techniques just to be placed on "backorder" indefinitely.  I wonder if the same is possible here.  The other catch?  That $208 part has a $75 shipping fee with it. :wtf:

Advance Auto should be able order a part like that and have it for pick up at the local store, pressuming you have one around. And I know what you mean about summit, though i've eventually gotten the items i've ordered. Then again I have the advantage of being a few minutes away from the retail store and can have stuff delivered there instead of paying for shipping.

Reply #70
Advance Auto should be able order a part like that and have it for pick up at the local store, pressuming you have one around. And I know what you mean about summit, though i've eventually gotten the items i've ordered. Then again I have the advantage of being a few minutes away from the retail store and can have stuff delivered there instead of paying for shipping.

Well, I went to Advance today to see about ordering it.  They said they would have to order it directly from Walker and remember that price on their site?  Well, it's off by $87.  That part is  near $300.  Sooo, now I am back to choosing which one to go with, the Catco or Walker.  The Catco brand leads me to believe it is a "high-flow" converter.  I put a Catco on my wife's Integra but I also changed the rest of the exhaust over to HKS so there is no way for me to tell how well the cat works.  The picture of the Catco H-pipe looks like the pipe goes at a straight line from the cat to the upward bend while the Walker looks like it has two places where it steps out leading me to believe it may fit better around the tranny.  The thing is, Walker doesn't advertise "high flow" and I can't return it.  I got the impression I could return the Summit one.

You can guaran--tee I will post pics and info on the fitment of whatever I get.

Reply #71
I had a Catco H-pipe put on my 87 sport, and the fitment was lousy. It hit the back k-member mount on p-side, and it hit the aod shift lever on side of tranny, and the tranny x-member mount on d-side frame. Don't know how much of an improvement it made, cause I had also added Heddman shorties, an flowmasters at the same time.

After some "gentle persuassion", it eventually fit though.
Resident "Idiot".

Formerly TBob5pt0 :shoothead

Quote from: JeremyB;165772
Repairing a lock cylinder that is frozen or sans keys requires a drill, gumption, and a midget on a tricycle.
Quote from: Big_D
Forgot to put on intake hose when starting the car, sucked neighbors cat into intake.

Reply #72
Quote from: Warbird9
I had a Catco H-pipe put on my 87 sport, and the fitment was lousy. It hit the back k-member mount on p-side, and it hit the aod shift lever on side of tranny, and the tranny x-member mount on d-side frame. Don't know how much of an improvement it made, cause I had also added Heddman shorties, an flowmasters at the same time.

After some "gentle persuassion", it eventually fit though.

This is good information to know, thanks for posting it.

I've been lurking around some Mark 7 places and those guys seem to generally accept that putting the 2.25 or 2.5" dual exhaust on a non-HO car that came with the factory y-pipe can rob the car of torque, hp, and gas mileage. :dunno:

A useful tidbit some might like:
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showpost.php?p=107412&postcount=5

Reply #73
I've been lurking around some Mark 7 places and those guys seem to generally accept that putting the 2.25 or 2.5" dual exhaust on a non-HO car that came with the factory y-pipe can rob the car of torque, hp, and gas mileage. :dunno:

That's why I was looking at the Walker part, as it looks to have 4 cats on it v.s. the possible 2 on the catco. I feel that the extra 2 cats would keep the back pressure up a bit. As for the Advance Auto situation, that doesn't seem right at all. It seems like you were getting the run around.

Reply #74
That's why I was looking at the Walker part, as it looks to have 4 cats on it v.s. the possible 2 on the catco. I feel that the extra 2 cats would keep the back pressure up a bit. As for the Advance Auto situation, that doesn't seem right at all. It seems like you were getting the run around.

Ok, I ordered the Walker 50501 H-pipe this past Sunday so it will probably be here sometime during the week of December 11th.  The diagram looks like it only has two cats but hopefully, I'll have the real thing soon so I can give a report.