Skip to main content
Topic: got one crazy idea but............ (Read 947 times) previous topic - next topic

got one crazy idea but............

I don't know if its possible or even pratical but... I came up with an idea of a solid mount gas tank. and having the top of the tank double(sp) as the floor of the trunk. and with that idea to have easy accsess to the sending unit and all so if the pump dies its very easy to change.and yes the trunk would be sealed off from the rest of the car. and a remote fire extinguishing unit installed(like in race cars). And also mounting the fueling point under the licence plate. kinda like the old gm cars with the hide away fuel door. and that would make the passender side of the car very clean looking without that gas door on the side. But i whanna see what everyone thinks of this idea and some feedback on it to make it much better.
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #1
Well Anythng Is Possible And If I Am Not Mistaken Thats The Way The Mustangs Had The Tank In The 60's The Only Way I See It Practical If You Cut Of All The Lines And Put A Sump On The Bottem So It Would Sit Preety Flush In The Trunk So That You Can Still Use Your Trunk To Put Junk With Out It Moving Around And Busting A Line That Just My 2 Pennys
:flip:I GOT MORE POWER NOW:flip:
:mad:..BUT I NEED EVEN MORE..:mad:

Reply #2
thing is the trunk is gonna house 2 12 inch subs and an amp so i have no real use of the trunk becides that plus i was gonna finish it off nicely by making a cover to hide everything and have it that clean look. and have it removable so if the fuel pump quits or whatever it can be changed without an issue. and was thinking having the fuel lines run through a grommet going through the trunk floor(under the car) so its tucked away from exhaust heat and moving parts. and also would give me more flexability on exhaust layouts too.

Got that fox rash again!

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #3
Are you talking like Pre-Made fuel cell/ Racing fualtank or a homemade gastank? It sounds like a good idea to me none-the-less.

Reply #4
mike its gonna be homemade. plus i figured it would give a ton more protection to the fuel tank from road  and everything. plus i can always make the tank bigger or smaller to suit my needs:evilgrin: and like i stated it would give me more options on exhaust layouts.

Got that fox rash again!

Reply #5
Sounds good, and good luck with it.

Reply #6
You'd be better off going with a pre-made -mount type of a tank than trying to fab up your own.  It will be safer too.

A fire supression system is going to cost you big bucks. 

Also, you'll need to plan out your fuel system.  You looking for an in-tank pump?  An inline pump fed from the tank sump?  For a street car I would not want the fuel lines in the trunk....
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #7
I thought he ment that he was going pre-made like a road racing one and rigging it to work in one of our cars. I found one in the new steeda catalog for 79-93 stangs that I thought would work. It's made for road racing but I think it would work.

Reply #8
The only thing mustang and t-bird/coug fuel tanks have in common is theyre strapped to the ass of a fox.
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #9
Well yeah but if your going to custom fab a tank you might b able to fab something up. It was more of an example then anything.:flame:

Reply #10
Quote from: 84 Fila
I thought he ment that he was going pre-made like a road racing one and rigging it to work in one of our cars. I found one in the new steeda catalog for 79-93 stangs that I thought would work. It's made for road racing but I think it would work.

No..he mentioned a "homemade" tank.  No thanks.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #11
Quote from: 84 Fila
I thought he ment that he was going pre-made like a road racing one and rigging it to work in one of our cars.

Key word is thought. I'll now go to my corner to shut up and watch now:toilet:

Reply #12
I know there are many other reasons you were wanting by moving your tank. But one thing you did say was to make the fuel pump eazier to change.  For that  you could always just cut a square out of the trunk and get another piece of metal to make a trap door setup. If you got the section from another bird/coug you could make it look almost factory.  Hell you could even put a hinge on it  and Get some of Duz-it fasteners to hold it closed. Then cut some of the carpet out of a donor trunk and cover the metal plate. It would look even more factory. Any how I don't really think that running the fuel lines in the trunk would be a good idea.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #13
Ford had "drop-in" gas tanks in the '60's and early 70's. They are considered unsafe by todays standards. The filler pipes passed through the trunk.

You put on your brakes lighting up the brake lights. Someone slams into your rear crushing your trunk. The filler pipe pulls out of the tank and you have a gas geyser in the trunk. The hot brake light wires are torn loose and are grounding out on the sheet metal.

Well you get the picture.