Skip to main content
Topic: Rear window 'trim/surround' (Read 2222 times) previous topic - next topic

Rear window 'trim/surround'

How do you remove the ring around the rear window? Is it just glued in? I swear I saw something about this before, but I can't find it anywhere.

Also, is there a reasonable way to remove the door handles? They seem riveted in. What about the locks? They seem like they should be easy, but they're in the far corner of the door.

Just need to take these last things off to finish the prep work and get the thing painted tomorrow.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #1
Not sure about the 87-88 window trim.

Drill the rivets to remove the handles.

The locks are held in by large clips you can see if you look at the end of the door by the locks.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #2
I believe the rear window trim is held on by clips.
From what I've heard, it can be very dicey to remove it. Those clips were designed to hold the trim, and they do it very well.
Bending that aluminum is certainly possible when trying to remove it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #3
Quote from: cougarcragar
I believe the rear window trim is held on by clips.
From what I've heard, it can be very dicey to remove it. Those clips were designed to hold the trim, and they do it very well.
Bending that aluminum is certainly possible when trying to remove it.

I learned that quickly enough when removing the back glass from that parts TC. I had originally hoped to remove it intact to use on my car (get rid of the chrome), but the situation quickly degraded from "I'm gonna save that trim" to "Oh please come off" to "Oh, you're coming off, you SOB". needless to say the trim did not survive. The worst part is that I've gotta pull the back window from the '88 to fix a water leak. I think I may let a glass shop take care of (and therefore take responsibility for) that job...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #4
Glass shops have the correct tool to remove that trim safely (i.e. without breaking the glass). That's what I'd recommend. Is yours an '87 or '88? Metal or rubber trim?

Reply #5
88/rubber. Pulling up on it seems to move the entire rear window so at this point, we're thinking of shooting around/under it.

Replacement passenger door from AM was rust-less but finding some surface rust on my drivers side door that needs to go away now. Time to break out the acid again.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #6
You can also get that trim remover tool at the parts store.  They  don't cost to much.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #7
I can tell you that the best way is to remove the entire window, I had 87 parts car and curiousity got the best of me so i tried everything i could on the passenger side to get the trim off and as TC said its not a good idea...so I took off the inside panels on the drivers side and undid the bolts holding the window frame in and ran apiece of floss like wire around the rubber sealant and it came out very nicely. Now keep in mind i did not put it back in so i cant give any advise on resealing the window but i really dont think that would be a problem once its painted.

Reply #8
I must have misunderstood, I thought we were talking about the backlight (the one with the defroster grid). I didn't even know the quarter window trim came off...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #9
uhhhhmmm...i think i may have been the confused:dunce: one, sorry about that

Reply #10
Well just to let you all know the quarter window trim does come off. None of the window trim is that hard to get off.  I did it with a small flat blade screw driver.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird