Skip to main content
Topic: Picked up the wheels... (Read 1373 times) previous topic - next topic

Picked up the wheels...

When i got them, they were a bit dirty, which isnt anything i cant handle. I spent maybe a half hour cleaning them up, and if anyone complains about cleaning turbines, go shoot yourself in the head.

Since i cant get them clean with my normal method, im going to use some oven cleaner, and scrub them. I did that on some of my old dodge parts and it worked rather well, so im going to give it a shot on one of the wheels, and see how it does. Once theyre clean, im going to strip the clearcoat off of the lips, and polish the hell out of them.

Theyll probably sit for a while untill i can get around to tearing into the red bird, but theyll be motivation.
It's Gumby's fault.

Picked up the wheels...

Reply #1
Nice score man...should look awesome when you're done...I think turbines are almost as hard to clean though...especially if they're painted white...I will not be shooting myself in the head anytime soon...lol.

Good luck!
Don
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

Picked up the wheels...

Reply #2
well...theyre getting stripped. Tried a product that would remove clearcoat, and it removed the paint with it. Im definatly not happy with that.
It's Gumby's fault.

Picked up the wheels...

Reply #3
Whoops.  Well, its just an excust to have them polished and the centers powdercoated.
88 TC, Lots of Mods.

Picked up the wheels...

Reply #4
Quote from: Tbird232ci
When i got them, they were a bit dirty, which isnt anything i cant handle. I spent maybe a half hour cleaning them up, and if anyone complains about cleaning turbines, go shoot yourself in the head.

i feel the same way every time i gotta clean the mark's, except my gf's are silver and not black. i gotta do it like once a week otherwise the dam brake pads get dust all over em and they are impossible to clean.

Picked up the wheels...

Reply #5
I'm glad I dont have to clean those!!! But it always seems that the hardest type of wheel to clean always loooks the best! Get some pics when u get 'em on.

Picked up the wheels...

Reply #6
itll be a long while, so dont expect pics any time soon
It's Gumby's fault.

Picked up the wheels...

Reply #7
Glad you got em man I can't wait to see the final result!

Picked up the wheels...

Reply #8
something like that  \/

Picked up the wheels...

Reply #9
Is there a pic in that first post? I've tried viewing this page on different browsers and different computers and it never fully loads.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Picked up the wheels...

Reply #10
Quote from: 88_302_tcoupe
something like that  \/

Reminds me of a GNX but looks better for sure! :bowdown:
[size=0]88 Thunderbird Turbocoupe 2.3T 5spd~78K miles
88 Thunderbird Turbocoupe 2.3T 5spd
[/size]

Picked up the wheels...

Reply #11
Ok, now I see them. I got a set of those coming. I think I'm going to use mine for winter wheels and then probably put them on darkthunder. Hmmm... looks like we have similar setups. :D
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Picked up the wheels...

Reply #12
Those look cool Shawn. They can't be too too bad to clean, time consuming yes. I can't say I'd want to clean them though.

Cleaning turbines isn't too bad. That's if you don't care about getting around each of the nubs near the center of the wheel.
The white ones however are a royal pain to clean.
so :shoothead

Picked up the wheels...

Reply #13
Quote from: 88_302_tcoupe
something like that  \/

Yes, but these are 16's, with a different style mesh. Theyre also going to get some mildly custom center caps, since there isnt anything available for the birds.
It's Gumby's fault.

Picked up the wheels...

Reply #14
Quote from: Tbird232ci
well...theyre getting stripped. Tried a product that would remove clearcoat, and it removed the paint with it. Im definatly not happy with that.

Ouch!  Major bummer, dude!
pro-five-oh

88 Cougar XR-7...5.0HO, T-56, and much more                             
85 Thunderbird 30th...#2471, 29k, all original and might actually stay that way