Skip to main content
Topic: Elan? Fila? (Read 4323 times) previous topic - next topic

Elan? Fila?

I've had my 84' T-Bird Elan for about 4 years now and I've always wanted to know the story with the Elan option, if there is one.
Does anyone know what Elan means, or is it just FoMoCo's way of saying "The Power Everything Option".
If anyone knows anything about the Elan story, maybe someone will also know why "Fila" teamed with Ford on our Fox T-Bird's.
Just Curious.

Elan? Fila?

Reply #1
Elan was just the base 'Bird, it was called LX in 87/88. You could get a non-Elan one, but hardly anybody did. Same thing with the fox Mustang, they had the Ghia that became the LX.

Fila contracted into a special run, which is not unusual. AMC had Pierre Cardin Javelin's in 71-74, and Levi Gremlin's from 70-76. Ford had (and still has) Eddie Bauer on it's Exploders/etc.

Elan? Fila?

Reply #2
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports
Levi Gremlin's from 70-76.

Thats one of the cars I want to own some day (but probabally wont) just think its cool.
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Elan? Fila?

Reply #3
The Fila bird was something Ive never, and still dont quite understand. You slap a tennis shoe logo on the car and now you have a Fila bird, was Fila ever a top player in the shoe market anyway? I just picture cheap shoes when I hear Fila, if they are even still in business.
1988 Tbird Stock bottom end 306, Windsor Jr's, Explorer intake, 125 shot.
Best ET: 12.11 Best MPH: 113.8 1/4 mile

Elan? Fila?

Reply #4
Elan--spirited selfassurance; verve; dash; ardor

Elan? Fila?

Reply #5
Bottom to top of the line for '84:

Base; Fila; Elan; Turbo Coupe

Elan? Fila?

Reply #6
No clue, I always thought E'lan was a power everything and Fila was a "rare" package. Not quite sure of what is is or why they did either of them really?

Elan? Fila?

Reply #7
Quote from: tbirdscott
Thats one of the cars I want to own some day (but probabally wont) just think its cool.

My mom used to have a 77 Levi Gremlin with the big six (200 ci I think). Two years after I was born my parents got rid of it and bought a Plymouth Voyager.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Elan? Fila?

Reply #8
so how many colors of elans are there?  so far I have seen 3 and just till recently I thought they were all blue :dunno:  I saw a red one that some old lady drives.

Elan? Fila?

Reply #9
My '84 E'lan was silver.:D
Resident "Idiot".

Formerly TBob5pt0 :shoothead

Quote from: JeremyB;165772
Repairing a lock cylinder that is frozen or sans keys requires a drill, gumption, and a midget on a tricycle.
Quote from: Big_D
Forgot to put on intake hose when starting the car, sucked neighbors cat into intake.

Elan? Fila?

Reply #10
Fila's only came in white

Elan? Fila?

Reply #11
Quote from: 88turbo
so how many colors of elans are there?  so far I have seen 3 and just till recently I thought they were all blue :dunno:  I saw a red one that some old lady drives.

Elans were the LXs of the 84-86 Birds. In those years it went Base, Fila, Elan, Turbo Coupe. In 87-88 it went Base, LX, Sport, Turbo Coupe. The Elan was just the luxo Bird like the LX.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Elan? Fila?

Reply #12
Ive seen an Elan in sandalwood.  Its in a J/Y Near me.  I got my tripminder out of it :)
88 TC, Lots of Mods.

Elan? Fila?

Reply #13
Quote from: 88turbo

My élan was red when I bought it, but that obviously changed. :D

Elan? Fila?

Reply #14
Quote from: 84 Fila
Fila's only came in white

They came in dark gray and red too.  I think I saw one in black, can't remember.

You also got a Fila gym bag and towel with the car, not to mention the Turbo Coupe seats with unique suede coverings and floorshifter. Filas rule.

And the Elan was just tha 1980s freshening of the Heritage luxury group from the 1970s. Nicer seats than the base model, stuff like that.
pro-five-oh

88 Cougar XR-7...5.0HO, T-56, and much more                             
85 Thunderbird 30th...#2471, 29k, all original and might actually stay that way