Skip to main content
Topic: tapped or roller? (Read 1847 times) previous topic - next topic

tapped or roller?

Reply #15
ok, thanks alot for your help, i apprecaite it.
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

tapped or roller?

Reply #17
I'd say skip the big throttle body unless you plan some serious mods.. over at Lincolns Online there was a discussion about this, and they think that some throttle response is lost with it.

EDIT: Here's a guy running a Kenne Bell supercharger on an HO and even he doesn't feel the need for a bigger TB:

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41464

Can't say everyone here will agree since I don't know their opinions on it.. but Bluegrass over there is generally considered a pretty knowledgeable guy from what I gather.

tapped or roller?

Reply #18
Quote from: quicksilver
that makes me very sad. how much would i gain if i have a fully ported stock mustang intake manifold, a comp. polymers upper intake, a 75mm tb, and short headers with true dual exhaust?

you will kill it....bigger isnt always better, IMHO  it will be slower then stock.

the box style intakes work well with hi rpm combo's or forced induction. neither of wich you have.

a gear 3.55-3.73

headers and a good 2.5" exhaust will help some

mustang upper intake and throttle body and spacer will help

a head something 'around' a 165cc intake port (edelbrock performer/tfs twisted wedge/afr165's) and cam (tfs stage 1 or ford motorsport b303) upgrade along with an h.o computer and maf swap will help

But then again all i can offer is advice take it for what you want.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

tapped or roller?

Reply #19
Grand Am w/200hp? Did he have it dyno tested? I had a Grand Am GT and it only had 155hp. I has hard pressed to find enough mods to generate 20hp much less 45hp. But it's been awhile since I've owned that car or even thought about a GM engine.

Oh BTW, welcome to the boards. :)
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

tapped or roller?

Reply #20
am I the only one to notice its "tappet" not tapped?
One 88

tapped or roller?

Reply #21
That 280ft lbs of torque might be the reason you won.
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

tapped or roller?

Reply #22
Oh yeah you also have the shiznitty 14lb/hour injectors.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

tapped or roller?

Reply #23
Oh yeah you also have the shiznitty 14lb/hour injectors.

And the even shiznittier 65 LPH fuel pump......
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

tapped or roller?

Reply #24
wow, you guys sure do know alot about thunderbirds.. thanks for helping me out!
what is a good fuel pump and injectors to get?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

tapped or roller?

Reply #25
Most common fuel pump is the 255lph pump. You can get them from just about any performance shop or catalog.

If you have the stock computer I wouldn't put anything bigger than 19lb. injectors in it.

tapped or roller?

Reply #26
All right here you go... The main thing to remember is there MUST be a proper air to fuel ratio(A/F) to make effecient power... Basically whats this means, if you do a mod to increase air into the engine there must be a accompaning increase in fuel or it will be too lean(or if you add just fuel, as in larger injectors it will be too rich)  The stock Bird/Cougar 5.0 is a ballanced package to produce the rated 150/155hp. IF you change ANY part of the system LIKELY you will upset this ballance and possibly the car will be slower as well as have drivability problems. Remember to keep A/F in the back of your mind and you'll be ahead of the game(do a little searching on the net).

So whatsa guy(or gal) to do??? In almost every case, it's the exaust system that needs attention FIRST(remember if it can't $hit, it won't be able to eat). What you do here will affect future HP plans so if you don't want change exaust systems twice, get a FULL 2 1/2" dual system, with 1 1/2" headers for stock heads or 1 5/8" for aftermarket heads. You could use stock Stang headers now(cheap) then get larger ones if you get some good heads. With the exaust system intake mods are in order. On a stock SO the 60mm Stang Tbody/EGR spacer is plenty. Also you could change to the HO upper, but for the difference I would not spend any money on one. Plan on a Cobra or other aftermarket intake and be done with it. Now you've got more air, you can add a LITTLE more fuel. Best way at this point would be to get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator(and gage) then increase the pressure till the car runs it's best. Stock is 39psi something on the order of 42-44psi would be in the ball park.

This is just a start, as there are so many possibilities it can make you head spin(you may want to skip minor mods and go full HO with cam and head change, just remember the exaust system is still the first mod).... BTW welcome to the board...