Skip to main content
Topic: Cutting springs...Bad idea or...? (Read 3438 times) previous topic - next topic

Cutting springs...Bad idea or...?

I would like to drop the the dd TC about 1-1 1/2". I have a complete spare set of TC springs in the garage and wondered if cutting one coil off each one would do the trick. I realize that cutting springs isn't the ideal solution but if it destroys the ride or other ill effects, I can just swap the stockers back in. Terrible idea or not?:flame:
TC#1- 2.5T- 10.14@134....9.76@138 with a 50shot
TC#2- Turbo BBF project
TC#3- parts car

Reply #1
It is unfortunate that the search funtion doesn't go past a certain point because this has been discussed on several occasions. I even made a thread about it. From what I gathered it would be best to cut no more than a half coil at a time.

I planned on doing this but I sold the springs before I got the chance. Just make sure you cut them with a method that generates the least amout of heat. And I hope your shocks/struts are in good shape. :D
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #2
I searched but like you said, there wasn't much about it. How about both front struts and 1 rear shock have 220,000 miles and the other shock has about 120,000 miles but they all work great (knocks on wood desk)lol!
TC#2- Turbo BBF project
TC#3- parts car

Reply #3
Hey, I just did that, well with the fronts anyway. One spring was broken so I cut the other to match ( a little over a coil). The ride was very stiff, I think it lowered the car right around 1.5".

I pulled them out and put in some used BBK front lowering springs instead, they ride a good bit better.

If you want to cut the backs, well I dunno about them. Didn't try cutting them, just swapped in some '94 GT rear springs instead.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #4
I wouldnt cut more than 3/4 coil at a time, I use a 4.5" andle grinder with a zip-cut blade, stop a couple times and hit it with a cup of water to help keep it cool, never had a problem doing it this way. DO NOT use a torch.
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #5
I know when I replaced the spirngs on my 84 T/C the fronts were broken. About 3/4-1 coil was off and in the lower arm. the car sat about 1.5-2" lower than the stock new spring I installed.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #6
I swapped in 5.0L mustang coils with 1 coil cut out.It dropped it to where i could just slip my finger between the tire and fender lip at the top. But the ride was good. I guess the 5.0L stang springs would have been good with out cuting.I put the rear 5.0L springs and it lowered the rear about an inch and gave it a raked look.
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

Reply #7
Quote from: Red_LX
Hey, I just did that, well with the fronts anyway. One spring was broken so I cut the other to match ( a little over a coil). The ride was very stiff, I think it lowered the car right around 1.5".

I pulled them out and put in some used BBK front lowering springs instead, they ride a good bit better.

If you want to cut the backs, well I dunno about them. Didn't try cutting them, just swapped in some '94 GT rear springs instead.

Thats what I'm afraid of. I don't mind a firm ride but I don't want my teeth rattled out either. I don't mind spending a few bucks on aftermarket springs but if I can modify the spares I have AND be satisfied with the results then so be it.
TC#2- Turbo BBF project
TC#3- parts car

Reply #8
OK, after reading the coil spring sticky, I've come to the conclusion that if I want to use mustang springs to drop the car, I should use stock height 79-93 springs or lowering springs for SN-95 cars. My question is can I use a lowering spring for any 94-04 mustang (exc cobra of course) or is any year in that range different? Also convertible springs better for dropping or not due to weight differences?
TC#2- Turbo BBF project
TC#3- parts car

Reply #9
BTW, for what it's worth- My TC front coils, with just over one coil cut/broken off of them, lowered the car almost the exact same amount as the BBK springs (although when placed side by side, the BBK springs were actually about 1/2" shorter). They were advertised as '79-04, 1.5" lowering springs. However being that my car is a turbo coupe and has just a touch less weight in front than a V8 car, your results may be different.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #10
Ok, another question. Do you cut the top or bottom coil on the spring? It appears the spring is thinner on top (progressive?), so cutting it there would probably make the ride a lot stiffer. So i guess you cut it on the bottom? I dunno about this. I hate to ruin a perfectly good set of springs. I requested a quote from coilsprings.com so we'll see what they say.
TC#2- Turbo BBF project
TC#3- parts car

Reply #11
You have to cut off the bottom...you don't want to cut the top since it's made to sit flat against the k-member.

Garrett H.
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #12
I used stock mustang 5.0 springs on my 84 t-bird. It lowered the rear about 1 1/4 inches, but the front stayed the same height. SO i cut half a coil of the springs for the front and it slammed it. My cats se everywhere lol. But I love the stance and the ride is a little bouncy but alot better than stock.