Skip to main content
Topic: 88 Lincoln Mark 7 tranny on t bird??? (Read 986 times) previous topic - next topic

88 Lincoln Mark 7 tranny on t bird???

hey i was considering of doing a swap form getting an ho wit 75 k miles and an aod tranny. but my question is , is that can the tranny just bolt up regular or do i have to shorten the drive shaft or is it good the way it is and just bolt up..

hope someone can help
thanks in advance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]5.0 Standard
REBUILT MUSTANG AOD
Magnaflow mustang exhaust
BBK shorties
mark vii h pipe
BBK intake
KYB shocks , struts
moog springs

Reply #1
What tranny do you have right now?  The Mark trans had a 16" tailshaft, and Birds had 15".  You could swap out your tailshaft and tailshaft housing since you are going to have things out anyway for the swap.
Matt :tg:

Reply #2
The tailshaft swap would be your best bet if you already have everything out.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #3
The 5 speed T/C driveshaft is approx 7/8" shorter than a '87 AOD unit so that should work. I'm not sure if the '88 AOD shaft is the same as the '87, but it should be. Just swapping the tail housing won't help, as the inner shaft is longer. And that my freinds requires TOTAL dissambly of the tranny to replace. I have heard of folkes cutting a inch off the shaft and using the shorter housing but have never tried it myself..

Reply #4
Uh, yeah, I dont see cutting the tailshaft working....  Sounds weird
Matt :tg: