Skip to main content
Topic: Took My Bird For Its First Drive!!! (Read 1974 times) previous topic - next topic

Took My Bird For Its First Drive!!!

Reply #15
you guys are making me second guess taking this nova on maybe i should hold it off till i get better heads or "the juice"

and the reason i say i could go 12.9 is cause my unlce has a 68' fastback with stock heads, lower compression and old offenhouser dual plane intake,540lift 290dur and 554lift 300dur on a 351 stroked to 396 his should be good for 370 at the fly with a c6 wich takes a lil more power to turn i understand

and mine with higher compression and an torqur 2 single plane intake,544lift 280 dur both sides and c4 tranny on a 306 should be good for 355 at the fly

well i hoping any ways sometimes i dont even know what i am taking about ha ha
but you guys are right i still need more power
:flip:I GOT MORE POWER NOW:flip:
:mad:..BUT I NEED EVEN MORE..:mad:

Reply #16
The cam you have with a 306 will actually make it good for more top end power.  The same cam in a 351 will actually generate it's best performance lower in the rpm range.  The peak HP will not tell the whole tale.  What is needed for best quarter mile results is good average HP and torque numbers accross the boards.  That stroker 396 with 540 lift and 290 duration most likely has loads of torque and great midrange even with the stock heads due to the fact the cam makes power earlier due to the cubic inch difference. 

To take full advantage of your cam with 306 cubes, I would recommend higher flowing heads.  Your convertor and gears should be good.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #17
just trying to give my self some hope i dont know if i should get gt40p heads or world jr. but i know i  need em to get the potential from the engine

Reply #18
If you can swing it go with the world jr's
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #19
Ive got windsor jr's, and I'll be honest, Id just put the money to some good alum heads. You can pick up a used set for pretty cheap now and theyre worth every penny. The reason I went with the windsor jr is because I got a killer deal on them when I worked at the machine shop, then used my own spring/valve setup and milled them down to 54cc chambers to up compression. But, they are miles behind the competition in port design and flow numbers.
1988 Tbird Stock bottom end 306, Windsor Jr's, Explorer intake, 125 shot.
Best ET: 12.11 Best MPH: 113.8 1/4 mile

Reply #20
well i will just have to see what deals come up but for now i got some good news i have figured the main bugs out in the t bird i thought it was carb problems the hole time turns out it wasnt it was the dam duraspark box that was jacking everything around so i got a hole new ignition setup on its way i will let you guys know how it go's when i put it in

Reply #21
that offy your family member has, they are nice pieces even though they are old.

I would say the heads are restricting your cam just like these guys said. depends on how much your stock ones are ported.
either way, with that cam, shift late and keep the revs up.

Reply #22
ha ha thats the plan for now i like to hear that lil 306 screem any ways

Reply #23
ok every one i got my distributor put in and installed it works a hell of a lot better then that dura it had it runs really strong above 3000 but under that there is no power what so ever 

so i need some help with two things

1.my starter stays stuck after the engine starts any what causes that how do i fix it

2.what the hell do i a have to do to get some low end power the only thing i can think of is switch intakes i use a torker2 right now help!!!

Reply #24
I may have missed something but what gear do you have?
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #25
i have 3.73 gears with 26' tires