Skip to main content
Topic: Took My Bird For Its First Drive!!! (Read 1985 times) previous topic - next topic

Took My Bird For Its First Drive!!!

so i took my bird out for the first ride since the rebuild it was great to be back in the ol bird i took it out with no header panel and no alternator and i found a few problems and a few surprises

problem number one the starter makes noises when cranking it over and stays stuck for a bit when motor starts problem number two it smokes number three it is running super rich and bogs it real bad under 3000 rpm

surprise number one shiznit load of topend power number two it shifts perfect fast positve shifts (chirps em) and three subframes really make a diffrenc
 jsut thought i would let every one know whats going on and as soon as i get my running the way it should i got a race with a chevy nova with an aluminum headed 350 i saw him run at the track he his best was a 12.9 and i think i can take him so i set up the race
:flip:I GOT MORE POWER NOW:flip:
:mad:..BUT I NEED EVEN MORE..:mad:

Reply #1
i got a race with a chevy nova with an aluminum headed 350 i saw him run at the track he his best was a 12.9 and i think i can take him so i set up the race

geeze....good luck with that. what are your mods?
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #2
ported stock heads studs guid plates
blue racer valve springs better valves
1.7 roller rockers
torker2 intake
edelbrock 600 cfm
110gph fuel pump mech.
3/8 in. fuel line
keith black 281 pistons
arp head main and rod bolts
comp cams 512 lift 280 duration 110 seperation
c4 with shift kit
mini starter
3000 stall
3.73 gears with locker
26in tires 295/50
sub frame connectors
weight reduction no insulation in the carpet no a/c equipment no carpet in trunk
batt relocation
cut off switch in my bumper
hopefully by the time i race him i can find a good deal on some heads but i thinks thats all my mods

Reply #3
you think he will be a problem i think it will be one hell of a race but i should take him but stranger things have happened

Reply #4
well, i realy dont know what kind of power your mods are worth but i can guess to myself and based on the edjamacated guess, id think he would wipe the floor with you at the track. i dont realy know  though, so do it up!
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #5
well the car feels strong but it needs a tune badly so i am hoping with a good tune it will wake it up a lil more kinda like you said just got to see what happens

Reply #6
throw that edel in the trash, and buy a demon!
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #7
that is the plan but no cash for that right now so please refrain from inappropriate name calling of inadequate parts ha ha just kidding man yeah it as  but its all i gots for now actaully what do you guys think i should buy first i am having trouble deciding

nitrous kit
heads
carb.

Reply #8
Quote from: Sprayingsmooth
what do you guys think i should buy first i am having trouble deciding

1. carb
2. 200hp plate kit
3. bailing wire ;)
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #9
i dont know about that 200hp prolly send my rods flying but that would be nice

Reply #10
I'd say go alluminum heads ;) and switch over to a 650 double pumper like my set up...  and get the  expensive pushrods!

Reply #11
i do want a double pumper
 i am leaning towards world jr. heads iron my buddy got a set of aluminum heads for 500 bucks bare and they woke his car up they were procomps off ebay but they fit almost flawless all he did was use 1.7 rockers but i am skeptical so i think i will stick to the world heads 

oh yeah why were your pushrods so expensive
and whats the deal with the gm dizzy

Reply #12
Quote from: shame302
well, i realy dont know what kind of power your mods are worth but i can guess to myself and based on the edjamacated guess, id think he would wipe the floor with you at the track. i dont realy know  though, so do it up!

What he said.

To get into the 12s you will probably need some better heads and a carb. Also you didnt say what exhaust/headers you were running. Although I dont know much about carb and intake setups.
1988 Tbird Stock bottom end 306, Windsor Jr's, Explorer intake, 125 shot.
Best ET: 12.11 Best MPH: 113.8 1/4 mile

Reply #13
oh yeah i for got about that there 1 5\8 primarys and 3" collectors from the collector there is about 6 inch of pipe till my dual flowmaster 40 series and cut offs right there

Reply #14
For 12's you're gonna need heads.  Looks like you have enough cam.  The carb?  Not too well versed in them.  I can tune one, but I don't have too much experience with aftermarket ones.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!