Skip to main content
Topic: Broken Stud Thermostat Bolt (Read 1384 times) previous topic - next topic

Broken Stud Thermostat Bolt

Well guys I'm pretty much at my wits end with this bolt. Ok last week before CJ I decided to replace the thermostat due to a closed thermostat. Well of course things never work out to be easy. I snapped the head off the lower thermostat bolt. It's the one behind the water pump I believe on the 5.0. I don't want to attempt to drill it out as there is no space and heard way too many horror stories of using an easyout. But I won't be able to fit a drill down there anyways.

I tried heating the bolt with a torch and vicegrips. But the only thing I'm doing is rounding the stud off. I then used a dremel to square it off. But no luck. I've soaked in in PB Blaster and other chemicals. About .5" is sticking out. So it's a lot to grab onto but everything i've tried just rounds it.

It seems to me that there is some sort of lock-tight on the threads? Is there any other way of getting this out. I really dont have the money pull the engine right now. I'd like to get this dumb thing out so I can get on the road again.

Any tips or suggestions? I'm stuck and frustrated to the max!!!:hick:
-Steve

Reply #1
Steve, the most work you'll have to do is pull the intake off.  You'll be able to use easyouts once you do that.

That might be thread sealant you see on the t-stat bolt.

Reply #2
my dad said if u can get a punch in at any angle to hit it he said give it a couple good hits and then grab it with the vise grips its gotta come out!  he said the torch doesnt really help b/c of the molecules that are seizing the bolt!  dont know if this will help ya but im puttin it out there for ya as a suggestion

Reply #3
use a propane torch to heat the intake, not the bolt, get it warm and iof you crank the vise grips on there tight it will NOT slip, squeeze harder you cooch :flip:
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #4
Use anti-seize on any metal bolt threading into aluminum and this will never happen again :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #5
I put myself in your situation and first thoughts were this.......

get down to sears and get one of those sockets that are made to remove bolts with stripped out heads.  The sockets bite as you turn them CCW.  I would fake your one good bolt to sears and figure out which size socket will grab onto the remaining 1/2'' stud you have sticking out.
if it breaks off,,, remove the intake, center punch the stud and use a tiny drill bit to start then step up from there.
My experience is that after you range up in drill bit sizes, eventually, you can run the dirll in reverse and the bolt will walk out with the bit.

Good luck,, its a pita i know.

Reply #6
I had the same thing happen with a timing cover bolt on a Sable and was told on this board to heat the exposed stud with the propane torch (try to get a little glow on it), spray it with lubricant, repeat the cycle a few times, with plenty of time between cooling and heating.  Then use the vice grips (use a file/dremel to get some flats on the stud to help the grip).  This process worked for me!

I've yet to have luck with those EZ out bolt drill bits, I usually end up having the bit crack inside the stud, then its especially bad because you have the hardened steel EZ out bit piece stuck in the stud as well.

V6->V8HO 88 LS
5.0L V8 87 XR7

Reply #7
well tonight my friend came over who works and builds engines. He first tried what I was trying with the heat and vicegrips. No luck.

Then he brought his welder over and tap welded a nut to the stud. Worked really well. Lots of strength, maybe alittle too much. The bolt snapped off flush to the engine. Oh well. Time to pull and rebuild the 5.0.

Thanks for all your help everyone :)

Reply #8
If your engine really, really needs rebuilt, then go ahead and do it, but the most you'll have to do to get that stud out is pull and/or replace the lower intake.

Reply #9
Yeah Steve, it's really not worth pulling and rebuilding your entire motor because of this one bolt. That is unless it really needs it.

Just pull the manifold, it's easy work. If you can maneuver it good enough, being very patient, you won't even have to pull the distributor.