Skip to main content
Topic: easiest way to.. (Read 939 times) previous topic - next topic

easiest way to..

what would be the easiest way to get a rotor off a rim? lol one lugnut is off but the other 3 are stripped and rounded... im tring to drill them out from behind... is that the best way?

ideas are needed, got a set of turbines in a trade

:D need to get the rotor off this one ;-)

easiest way to..

Reply #1
They took the wheel and spindle/rotor/caliper off as a unit?

If you have a cut-off wheel you may be able to make quick work of the nut/stud from the front.  Either that, or if you can get in and grind the "head" off the back of the stud inside the rotor and drive the stud out of the rotor from the back with a punch/hammer.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

easiest way to..

Reply #2
I'm with grinding from the rear... of the rim with an angle grinder or better yet if you have a die grinder, grind off the head and drive it out with a punch and bfh.
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

easiest way to..

Reply #3
Quote from: Chuck W
They took the wheel and spindle/rotor/caliper off as a unit?

if thats the case, consider yourself lucky.

It took me prolly collectivly 20 hours just to get the lug nust off (2) or my car. Over 10 sets of carbide drill bits (about $10 a pop too) and a grinder that I burt out, as well as an old craftsman drill that I burned out. It was 1/3hp!

If your going through the rim, and cutting off lug nuts, use a punch and chisel set. I figured I could do it without messing up the rim if I used a drill. I was wrong.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

easiest way to..

Reply #4
or, it would be easiest to cut off the stud from the back end (The end part) and use a punch to punch it through the back end to the front.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

easiest way to..

Reply #5
How about a butane torch and a vise grip?? At least get the wheel off. Then do what ever feels right for the rest!

Daniel
1987 Cougar XR7 5.0 SOLD
1992 Ranger 4.0
2018 Hyundai Elantra
2019 Ram Rebel

easiest way to..

Reply #6
im still working on it, but the only thing that is attached it a rotor... and im going with the drill and punch idea...it seems like its gonna work the bst with out messing up the rim

easiest way to..

Reply #7
torch ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication