Skip to main content
Topic: How exactly do I remove axles? (Read 1418 times) previous topic - next topic

How exactly do I remove axles?

Today I went after a differential from a 97 Aerostar.  Got as far as taking the bearing caps off but I just don't know how to release the axles from the differential.  This is where Chilton could have splurged on an extra page or two :tg: The diff is a locker with 3.73 gears on it.  From my perspective it looked as if the shafts were being held by the S-spring but if that's so I have no idea how to release it, even if it's ever supposed to be.  Aren't there supposed to be c-clips somewhere?
1983 Thunderbird-302 HO, Holley 650 CFM 4150 DP, Weiand Stealth Intake, Dual-Snorkel Air Cleaner,  Holley Fuel Pump, Procomp HEI Distributor, B&M Holeshot 2400 Converter, Custom 2 1/4 duals with no cats and BBK shorties, Taurus Fan Conversion, FMS Grill, much more to come....

"In the future, I plan on taking more of an active role in the decisions I make" - Paris Hilton

Reply #1
Push the axles in, then you will see the C clips. You might have to rotate the dif to get some needlenose pliers in there to pull them out. The s spring does not need to be removed.
1988 Tbird Stock bottom end 306, Windsor Jr's, Explorer intake, 125 shot.
Best ET: 12.11 Best MPH: 113.8 1/4 mile

Reply #2
Push the axles in, then you will see the C clips.

But first, remove the pinion shaft that runs through the middle of the diff and holds the pinion gears in place. The shaft is locked in place by an impossible-to-remove small bolt.
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #3
Quote from: MasterBlaster
But first, remove the pinion shaft that runs through the middle of the diff and holds the pinion gears in place. The shaft is locked in place by an impossible-to-remove small bolt.

Sorry thought that was a given, my bad. And actually, removing the bolt is easy with a 1/4in ratchet and small extension.
1988 Tbird Stock bottom end 306, Windsor Jr's, Explorer intake, 125 shot.
Best ET: 12.11 Best MPH: 113.8 1/4 mile

Reply #4
And actually, removing the bolt is easy with a 1/4in ratchet and small extension.
No, no. Everyone knows it's impossible to get out. You must have done something wrong.  :hick:

Reply #5
Lol.  Back from the junkyard again.  Thanks to your advice I got the axles out without much trouble [COLOR="Red"]BUT[/COLOR] the diff still won't budge from it's housing.  I have done exactly this: Removed the bearing clamps and slipped the axles out.  There shouldn't be much holding the diff in place with the possible exception of the pinion gear but I tugged gently and not so gently on it and it's not going anywhere.  What did I miss?
1983 Thunderbird-302 HO, Holley 650 CFM 4150 DP, Weiand Stealth Intake, Dual-Snorkel Air Cleaner,  Holley Fuel Pump, Procomp HEI Distributor, B&M Holeshot 2400 Converter, Custom 2 1/4 duals with no cats and BBK shorties, Taurus Fan Conversion, FMS Grill, much more to come....

"In the future, I plan on taking more of an active role in the decisions I make" - Paris Hilton

Reply #6
Okay I looked into it some more and it looks like it's permissable to pry against the ring gear bolts with a crowbar.  Guess I'll try it.

Reply #7
Since the bearing preload and pinion backlash and all that is set by pounding shims into place between the carrier and the housing, it's going to be in there pretty tight. Be gentle, use more than one pry-bar, and don't have your toes in the way when it pops out.

Are you planning on taking the pinion too, or just the diff, and getting new gears for it?

Reply #8
Yeah, you're not just going to pull the diff from the housing.  If you can....there are problems. 
You can pry them out w/o much trouble.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #9
I'll be taking the pinion too.  Having a locking diff is just icing on the cake, I want those 3.73 gears.  I'll be going after it again after work and I'll use my discretion while prying on it.  With my luck I'll end up with a ring gear up my nose but I'm sure I can manage not to break it.

Reply #10
You'll have a tougher time getting the pinion out of there than the diff/ring gear assy.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #11
:eek: The Aerostar I was working on got crushed this morning.