Skip to main content
Topic: Best 5 speed shifter (Read 1483 times) previous topic - next topic

Best 5 speed shifter

As title says. I am going to buy a short throw for the TC. I saw the thread about the pro 5.0 shifter. I have my eye on the steeda tri ax. Any opinions-experience out there?
TC#1- 2.5T- 10.14@134....9.76@138 with a 50shot
TC#2- Turbo BBF project
TC#3- parts car

Best 5 speed shifter

Reply #1
Pro 5.0 and Tri-Ax are both equals. Similar designs, similar quality, similar price. Buy it for whatever name you want.

Either that, or the MGW shifter. I hear its badass.
It's Gumby's fault.

Best 5 speed shifter

Reply #2
i liked my pro 5.0
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Best 5 speed shifter

Reply #3
MGW all the way, iv had the hurst which was good,  the tri-ax is nicer all around but its LOUD as hell, and now i got the MGW which compairing it to what iv had before, is the best.

i think the steeda is different than the pro50, my steeda had 2 shifter handle positions for more comfortable, and one for shorter throws. i didnt see the second position on the pro50 pictures.

Best 5 speed shifter

Reply #4
Get the pro 5.0 I love it. It has awsome quality and last time I checked it also came with the two shift handles. Most of the others are made to live up to the pro5.0
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Best 5 speed shifter

Reply #5
Have a Pro 5.0 myself...I give it a thumbs up.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Best 5 speed shifter

Reply #6
My vote goes for the UPR Blu Thunder, bought mine what, 5 years ago? Has who knows how many miles on it but still works great. And it's a lot cheaper than the Tri Ax or the Pro 5.0.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Best 5 speed shifter

Reply #7
I got the steeda tri-ax, I like how the handle can be mounted at 2 different heights good for our cars. Like Nate says it is on the noisy side. I love the way it shifts, it centers over third which helps alot when shifting fast...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Best 5 speed shifter

Reply #8
i have installed many pro5.0, i like em ok. MGW is nice but i think they stopped the two handle option. they had one blue and one red. last i saw was an orange handle and no options...

i have a hurst in mine, and i like it, but i also customized the handle to fit me better.....
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Best 5 speed shifter

Reply #9
Oh yeah, my UPR had the 2 position handle but I had to reach too far. I cut & re-welded a stock handle so it was shorter and came back further and it's PERFECT.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Best 5 speed shifter

Reply #10
Did a lot of reading on NATO and Turboford. Saw a lot of raves about the MGW, but it doesn't seem to shorten the throw that much. How much does the pro 5.0 shorten the throws? I drove a stang years ago with a short throw and I swear the distance from 1st to 2nd was about an inch and a half max. It felt awesome for powershifting.
TC#2- Turbo BBF project
TC#3- parts car

Best 5 speed shifter

Reply #11
On my pro 5.0 it is pretty short throw. I bet from 1st-2nd it is 1.5 inch throw like what you are looking for.  Basically the pro5.0m shifter handle is very short.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Best 5 speed shifter

Reply #12
A little thread revival here. Ok, I ordered the pro5.0 from blue oval industries. I just finished the install a couple of hours ago. Had to pull the console back a few inches, other than that not too bad. My first impression is that it didn't shorten the throws that much. The handle is definately shorter and feels much more precise. I can also feel the almost straight shot from 2nd to 3rd. I'm hoping the true benefits of the shifter come out when it is speed shifted or powershifted to keep boost from dropping off. I just drove it normally on the test cruise because the wife was with me and freaks when I get on it, lol.
TC#2- Turbo BBF project
TC#3- parts car

Best 5 speed shifter

Reply #13
I had an MGW short throw shifter handle and it shortened the shifts quite a bit. I sold it to Shawn when I was parting out the car so maybe he'll chime in if he's got it installed.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Best 5 speed shifter

Reply #14
i dunno guys. i think a real short throw isnt all that great. i can powershift or even just sport shift my ranger just as fast as anything else i have ever shiftes, save for a junk tranny. i think the real bennies of those shifters are the solid and precise feel coupled along with some tranny protection. i havnt actually measured the shift throw in my mustang but i know its more than an inch and a half. i honestly think that would be annoying, and dissapointing. i like to row that shifter. i drove something(cant remember if it was a tallon or something) that had a wicked short shift and it wasnt at all satisfying to me. something i wish the stock shifter in the mustang had was a more solid, more positive feel. ill likely get the mgw for the T56 if that goes in as it seems to be the trickest shifter out to date. i always wanted a pro 5.0 though and might pick one up if i keep the T45 in there.

if you guys are missing 3rd alot, the trick is in the grip. after shifting into 2nd, instead of holding the shifter like a baseball change your grip so that the bottom of your palm is on the back of the  and your hand looks like you are signigying "stop" from the front of the car. dont even think about it when you are shifting into 3rd, just push your hand streight foward in its natural path. itll go in, i promise. i had a but of mine have alot of trouble trying to power shift into 3rd where he thought it was. i showed him the mechanics of this motion and he improved right away. i was quite pleased. its worth a try. ill have to get a pic up showing exactly what i mean.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~