Skip to main content
Topic: hwat is a "sport" in 1988 (Read 998 times) previous topic - next topic

hwat is a "sport" in 1988

since the demise of my 87LX. i've been looking for a prject car. I bought a 69 fairlane fastback, but i'm not as into it as i thought. I'm thinking of dumping the car and get another 80's bird. I found a local listing for an 88 "sport". What is this option package. I've done a little searching and got some conflicting info, so i figured I'd stop by this board again 'cause i know someone has the correct answer

thanks in advance
walt
Baylensman 97 XR7

Reply #1
A proper 88 sport looks like a turbo coupe except it'll have the V8 motor with different mounts then a regular LX along with a floor shifter as opposed to a console shift.  The dash should also be buttstuffogue as oppoesed to digital and obviously wont have a boost gauge like a TC.  If this is actually what the guy is selling they are kinda rare from what i know...  yet alotta dealershiznits and ppl will list any T-bird as a "sport" model.  AutoTrader for instance is full of idiots that have V6's they call "sport model t-birds"...  I'm sure others will have better info on this like Nate or Eric...

Reply #2
1988 sport =

5.0L AOD
Floor shifter
Console
(Turbo Coupe) sport seats
buttstuffog gages
Bigger sway bars???
Limited slip 7.5" diff with quad shocks (2.73?)
blacked out trim
8 hole 14" al' wheels (not sure on this one)

did I forget anything???

This is the car I first was looking for before I got the Turbo Coupe. I like 'em!

EDIT: VIN = 1FABP61...

Reply #3
They also have 10" rear drums. 3.08 gears were an option (mine had it). '87 models have regular "base" seats without the consolette and they have a full digital dash (as opposed to the 88's full buttstuffogue). The alloy wheels were an option - mine had steel wheels with plastic covers. There are also numerous reports of '88 models sneaking out of the factory with 8.8" rears with drum brakes (like the 88 XR7), but this was not an "official" offering.

They did not have special engine mounts, and they do not look like Turbo Coupes. Aside from the blacked out window trim they look just like regular Thunderbirds. They do have bigger sway bars, and I am pretty sure they have firmer shocks & struts, and likely stiffer springs as well. I know my '87 Sport handled way better than my '88 mushmobile.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #4
My 1988 Sport, on the right, and my new Tbird base model. The Sport was a victim of rust and is now a parts car. Maybe I'll make a sport clone :sawzall: :welder:

BTW those fugly tractor lights were the first thing I removed :hick:

Reply #5
thanks guys, i've made up my mind if it is in fact a "sport" i'll buy it and sell of the 69 fairlane (at a loss probally as the car is now in pieces as a prelude to some rust repair)
Baylensman 97 XR7

Reply #6
Quote from: Thunder Chicken
87 models have regular "base" seats without the consolette and they have a full digital dash (as opposed to the 88's full buttstuffogue).

I remember seeing pics of an 87 sport's dash on cardomain awhile ago...  the digital RPM meter looked really cool...  Mind you I'm just a sucker for digital dash...