Skip to main content
Topic: intakes (Read 733 times) previous topic - next topic

intakes

me and mike here are wondering if a 351 manifold will fit on top of his 5-0 (carbed)

if he uses the heads from the 302.... will the intake fit right?  or does he need the 351 heads?

intakes

Reply #1
I think the 351's have slightly bigger studs. I also think the lower intake is a diffrent size. The 351's are like an inch wider up top I think.....
Not totally sure but yeah.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

intakes

Reply #2
im not sure.. the look the same..... i just wanted a second oppinion

intakes

Reply #3
I believe that the windsor bloks are the one that are wider. If you have the cleveland it should be narrower. The windsor is made Big block style the clevleand is made small block style. Bigblock style low rpms lots of torque. Smallblock style high rpm high horse power.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

intakes

Reply #4
351 lower manifolds are too wide to fit on the 302 due to the 351 having a taller deck hieght. The 302 heads and 351 heads will interchange, but the 351 heads using larger head bolts will need bushings to be used on the 302 with the 302 head bolts, and the 302 heads would need drilled out to fit on the 351. Clear as mud? :hick: :D
Resident "Idiot".

Formerly TBob5pt0 :shoothead

Quote from: JeremyB;165772
Repairing a lock cylinder that is frozen or sans keys requires a drill, gumption, and a midget on a tricycle.
Quote from: Big_D
Forgot to put on intake hose when starting the car, sucked neighbors cat into intake.

intakes

Reply #5

intakes

Reply #6
Quote from: ipsd
I believe that the windsor bloks are the one that are wider. If you have the cleveland it should be narrower. The windsor is made Big block style the clevleand is made small block style. Bigblock style low rpms lots of torque. Smallblock style high rpm high horse power.

The 302 and 351 are both small blocks and both share the windsor architecture...the Cleveland intake is only narrower than the 351 because it only has a 9.2" deck height compared to the 8.7" deck height of the 302 and the 9.5" deck height of the 351.

Cleveland's were supposed to be Ford's sweetheart high performance, high winding small block...which they were...'69 Boss 302 for example...made peak power AFTER the factory rev limiter.  Obviously these engines would fair horribly in daily driven grocery getters...the windsors stayed around because they were the "do it all" engine...they were the "economical" v-8's during the era of clevelands(which was quite short lived).  Whereas the cleveland's were really only put in passenger cars to homoligate the engine in various racing classes.

To answer the question, no a 351 lower intake will certainly NOT fit on your 302.  Go with a Weiand Stealth intake...cheap as can be and real top notch performers...have yet to hear a single bad word about them. 

Good luck,
Don
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads