Skip to main content
Topic: Cranking hard (Solved!) (Read 1273 times) previous topic - next topic

Cranking hard (Solved!)

well as you know, i just rebuilt the motor in the bird.... its now a 303:hick:  machine shop....:giggle:

im trying to start it and it just slowly turns... barely..... ive fried a battery cable already :hick:

just askin..... should i just run out and get a hi-torque starter? and a new selinoid.....lmao.... ....

whats your guys's opinion

Cranking hard (Solved!)

Reply #1
Make sure you got a good ground.I put my motor in went to start it and the starter puked.It was only ground through the gauges.
Forgot to hook the ground from the bat to good ground.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Cranking hard (Solved!)

Reply #2
im gonna clean up the firewall ground wire next time i go out there...... and fix that  stuck injector D:

Cranking hard (Solved!)

Reply #3
you pull the engine and then dont fix the injector?

Well, I would bet it would be more better with a better starter or something like that.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Cranking hard (Solved!)

Reply #4
i got to looking at mopar starters, would a 318 starter work? looked like they were the same...

and ideas?

Cranking hard (Solved!)

Reply #5
how is the timing?  if it is off it'll crank hard

Cranking hard (Solved!)

Reply #6
Quote from: 87thunderbirdBlackJack
i got to looking at mopar starters, would a 318 starter work? looked like they were the same...

and ideas?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say NO...stock style starter should fire that thing with no problems...unless you have diesel like compression of 16:1+ lol
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

Cranking hard (Solved!)

Reply #7
With the plugs out, can you turn it over with a socket and breaker bar on the crankshaft pully bolt?

Cranking hard (Solved!)

Reply #8
timing is dead on..... maybe i just have a weak starter

Cranking hard (Solved!)

Reply #9
Quote from: softtouch
With the plugs out, can you turn it over with a socket and breaker bar on the crankshaft pully bolt?

yeah and its a biznitch lol it moves freely....  but it does turn

Cranking hard (Solved!)

Reply #10
Quote from: 87thunderbirdBlackJack
yeah and its a biznitch lol it moves freely....  but it does turn

Huh?

Cranking hard (Solved!)

Reply #11
it turns freely, but its kinda hard to turn..... harder to turn that it was when i first took it out..... but thats because of the rings..

did that help? ...... im in a zoney mode today

Cranking hard (Solved!)

Reply #12
NEW ISSUE!

alright, i changed the starter it cranks alot better... but the battery cables are getting real hot... to the point where the terminals start melting

help me out, i really wanna get this thing running again

Cranking hard (Solved!)

Reply #13
for some reason you are pulling too much voltage to start with. the wires should be 8 gage. but me im going to build my own battery cables when it comes time for that but if they are 8 gage wire i would go out and get 4 gage wire. a little more bulkier so that doesn't get hot. but before doing that look into why you are pulling too much voltage. a short maybe? or possibly a open curcuit? i can't really do much without the car sitting here and all and without a wiring diagram. but if everything checks out look into replacing the cables.
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Cranking hard (Solved!)

Reply #14
im running all 4 gauge wire, uhm... all the grounds are wired nice now.. still no avail

imk beginning to think that the shop is gonna get rich off of me