Skip to main content
Topic: 60mm Throttle Body on HO Factory Intakes? (Read 1294 times) previous topic - next topic

60mm Throttle Body on HO Factory Intakes?

Looks like I'll be going to the parts yard.  The Mustangs are few but I know they have several HO intakes on some other Fords (most intaking on the drivers side).
If I am looking for a 60mm intake/EGR spacer, what vehicles (other than 'stangs) do I need to be looking for?  I mean, if I find an HO in a Lincoln would it be an acceptable 60mm?  Forgive my ignorance but this stuff is a lot different than the old FE motors:shakehead !

88 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #1
Only HOs are in the LSC Lincolns and Mutangs. None of the full size had a  factory HO, so if if it has the driver side T/B its gonna be the small 50mm...  The '91-'93 Birds/Cougs have HOs but used a different configuration...

Reply #2
Quote from: TurboCoupe50
Only HOs are in the LSC Lincolns and Mutangs. None of the full size had a  factory HO, so if if it has the driver side T/B its gonna be the small 50mm...  The '91-'93 Birds/Cougs have HOs but used a different configuration...

The 4.2L V6 put in several vehicles has a 64/65mm (hard to tell honestly) trottle body,,, Need pics?  I have one in my garage now.

Reply #3
Thanks.  That helps a lot.  Now if I can only find one . . .

88 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #4
Quote from: jcassity
The 4.2L V6 put in several vehicles has a 64mm trottle body,,, Need pics?  I have one in my garage now.

Would it work with an '88 5.0? Any mods?

88 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #5
Quote from: sansabar
Would it work with an '88 5.0? Any mods?

YES., how is up to you.  Id like to see someone make use of it cause its going to the dump here soon.
It could be adapted to a 5.0,,3.8,, or your automatic cat food despenser is you so choose:D .
here is the wild a@@ looking intake you can spot a mile away, only engine i know of with this intake.

speaking of adaptablity, the heads on the 4.2 bolt on the 3.8L and all ports match up.  So.....that means all this junk from heads/upper,lower intake/ect ect bolt right on.  THe valves in these heads are really larger than what i expected.  They mic around 1.45/1.68

Reply #6
Scott you need to measure it on the intake side, the butterfly is the actual size that is important...

Reply #7
Scott you need to measure it on the intake side, the butterfly is the actual size that is important...

Would there be any problem running a 65mm TB with a 70mm EGR w/spacer? I can see where it would cause limits the other way around.  If it isn't an issue I'll be pretty much set - otherwise I need to find a 65mm EGR w/spacer to match the TB.

88 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #8

ill do that tomorrow.  It didnt look thatmuch of a difference down in there.

Reply #9
Yea Scott a couple mm lip ain't much, but subtract that from the diameter and all of a sudden that 64mm TB just became a 60... Being basically lazy, I sure wouldn't try to adapt some oddball configuration when Stang and LSC units are easy to find...

Reply #10
Quote from: sansabar
Would there be any problem running a 65mm TB with a 70mm EGR w/spacer? I can see where it would cause limits the other way around.  If it isn't an issue I'll be pretty much set - otherwise I need to find a 65mm EGR w/spacer to match the TB.

On a stockish SO 5.0 a 65mm is a total waste... But to answer your question, no it won't make any difference(again on a stockish 5.0). On a high RPM engine it could create turbulence that may restrict total flow...

While I'm at it.... A HO intake ain't going to make a tenth the difference that the 60mm TB/EGR spacer will make(which won't be much either)... A SO intake has approx a 58mm opening anyway(yes I've measured them). IF you matched the intake opening to the 60mm spacer/TB you'd have at least 95% of the improvement of the  HO and 60 mm... The intake mods arn't going to do much without a set of headers and free flowing exaust system...

Reply #11
Thanks.  All I need to get then is the 60mm or 65 mm TB.  The HO intake will be here next week.  I have already installed true duals, h-pipe, no cat, flowmasters - and removed the airbox.  I'm putting in stock Mustang headers after the intake is done. Just looking for a little better performance and for the motor to breathe better.

88 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #12
what if your running the 65mm right now but your upper intake can do 70mm would it be worth going to a 70mm i have the HO heads and im running duals all the way so im pretty sure its breathing good.

Reply #13
70mm is too big.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #14
I'm running a 65mm with a GT40 intake and Trick Flow heads... Wastin' your time on a stock headed engine...