Skip to main content
Topic: HO Upper Intake Conversion Questions (Read 1421 times) previous topic - next topic

HO Upper Intake Conversion Questions

A few questions about converting to the HO upper intake.

How much longer do the bolts need to be to accomodate the phenolic spacer?
When installing the phenolic spacer, on which side does the gasket go?
Can I use my existing factory TPS on a 60mm or 65mm throttle body?
If I have to get a new TPS how do I know which one to get?

88 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #1
There shouldn't be a spacer unless you bought one with it. If that's the case the spacer should have come as a kit, including the proper length bolts and 2 gaskets (one gasket per side). The TPS should just transfer over to the new throttle body no real modification necessary.
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Reply #2
I am getting a used HO intake without bolts. It has the 1/2" phenolic spacer, EGR spacer w/EGR, no throttle body - guess I need to get a gasket set.  Still need to find out about the bolts.
I thought I had read that the TPS would not function properly between a 50mm and a 60 or 65mm throttle body.  If it doesn't I guesss I'm pretty much good to go.

88 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #3
Lots of mustang guys say they wont work but they will.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #4
Quote from: sansabar
I am getting a used HO intake without bolts. It has the 1/2" phenolic spacer...

There's your clue then, take out your bolts from your stock upper intake, measure them, then add a 1/2" to that measurement. Also gaskets shouldn't cost that much.

Reply #5
That makes good sense but I've learned not to assume anything:nono:

88 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #6
It's not so much an assumption as it is an resonably educated/common sense guess. If you wanted you could even take off the old upper intake and see how much farther the bolt sticks out from the bottom of the hole. That would give you the best idea of how far in the bolt would go into lower intake. Heck you could even take the new Upper and spacer into an hardware store and start trying bolts and see what you can find with that method.

Reply #7
Bolts can be found at Lowe's or Home Depot that work on our intakes. That's what I did on the convertible, in fact (Cobra upper/GT40 lower/1" spacer).

Also, about the TPS...you cannot interchange them physically between a 50mm and 60mm throttle body. The function would probably be the same, but Ford made sure that they're dimensionally unique to each one (tabs/ears on the TPS). I suppose if you ground down the plastic you could get it to work between them. It's just been easier for me to buy the correct one.

Reply #8
I found identical to stock and even slightly longer at a couple of local stores. Maybe longer by 2 inches or so. I lost some of my origonals....
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #9
Quote from: EricCoolCats

Also, about the TPS...you cannot interchange them physically between a 50mm and 60mm throttle body. The function would probably be the same, but Ford made sure that they're dimensionally unique to each one (tabs/ears on the TPS). I suppose if you ground down the plastic you could get it to work between them. It's just been easier for me to buy the correct one.

Maybe a Ford TPS won't interchange...but I have absolutely no problems with aftermarket pieces.
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

Reply #10
Also, about the TPS...you cannot interchange them physically between a 50mm and 60mm throttle body.

Uh the stock 50mm TPS worked on a 60mm TB no problem. Bolted right on with no mods :dunno:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #11
Quote from: thunderjet302
Uh the stock 50mm TPS worked on a 60mm TB no problem. Bolted right on with no mods :dunno:

Yeah, I've swapped mine around without any problems :dunno:
AutoZone lists the same part number for all 50, 60, 65mm throttle bodies.

Reply #12
My upper will be here in about a week. Not reall worried about the bolts - just like to get everything straight in my head before I get started.
I still need to get a throttle body.  I have the 50mm right now.  Will I notice much difference on the HO between the 60mm and 65mm?  I found a few 60s that I can go and pull cheap but no 65s.  If the extra 5mm makes that much difference I'll get the 65 but if it doesn't I don't want to waste the money.

88 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #13
I'll add that my original TPS also worked fine on a 60mm throttle body.

Also, unless you're going for a 65mm intake and egr spacer, a 65mm tb would be useless...and I think 65mm is too much for the stock fuel injectors.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #14
I've never had the TPS's interchange...and those were all stock parts I tried. Maybe the aftermarket ones are more universal then...cool. At least someone used their brains when designing the replacement parts. ;)