Skip to main content
Topic: Why doesn't the back end of my car sit level? (Read 853 times) previous topic - next topic

Why doesn't the back end of my car sit level?

The back end of my car sits lower on the driver's side than it does on the passenger side. I originally though this was because of the stock springs or because of the fact that it was sitting lower on the driver's side front (due to the broken spring). Well, I swapped out the rear springs for the '94 GT springs I had (with the airbag helpers in them), and I made sure to put the pigtails in the same location on both sides (toward the back), and today I removed the front springs, cut the passenger side one so it was the same height as the broken driver's side one, and put them back in and everything is back together. I like the stance of the car now aside from the lopsided rear. Even with 15 psi in the airbags it still sits lower on the driver's side. What can I do? Could I try putting the pigtail toward the front on the driver's side rear spring?

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #1
Welcome to the Fox chassis.  It's just inherent.  My Z-7 has a BAD lean, and even the Tbird lists slightly.  Aside from adjustable-height springs there isn't alot you can do to dial them in exact.  Messing with the pigtail orientations might give you a little adjustment though.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #2
Actually been talking to Red_LX on aim about this...

My new poly bushings took the lean out of my cougar.
One 88

Reply #3
isn't it obvious? all that torque clearly bent up your body and sub frame. :D  just messin', i have no idea
1988 Thunderbird sport
2004 Ford F150 Lariat
2008  Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone

Reply #4
My 87 sport sits lower on the driver side rear. Like Chuck said, I think it's a fox chassis thing. Mustangs have the same issue. There was a huge thread on this over at the corral. Many pages and many theories. In a nut shell all you can do is jack around with spring heights at opposite corners (diagonally, i.e: if you lower the LR you'll raise the RF) using shims, spacers or adjustable perches (or convert to coil overs). It's not something that you can fix easily with out a lot of trial and error, read: assembly and disassembly.

Also changing ride height will affect the corner weights- but on a street car, who cares;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 5.0 Turbocoupe (Katrina), 87 5.0 Sport (Rita)

Reply #5
I think if I put maybe a 1/2" spring spacer on the driver's side spring, that would probably fix it. But I don't know where I would be able to just get one spacer. Is there something else I might be able to use?

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #6
insert spacers from autozone.  7 bucks for a pack of 4.  or airshocks.
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

Reply #7
Quote from: Red_LX
I think if I put maybe a 1/2" spring spacer on the driver's side spring, that would probably fix it. But I don't know where I would be able to just get one spacer. Is there something else I might be able to use?

Try putting in those stang springs you were talking about.  And also don't rule out a front end problem causing your lean.  I had a broken spring on my passanger side front that caused a severe lean.

With the low milage 01 stang springs I have.. My car sits perfectly level.
One 88

Reply #8
Quote from: Red_LX
Well, I swapped out the rear springs for the '94 GT springs I had (with the airbag helpers in them), and I made sure to put the pigtails in the same location on both sides (toward the back), and today I removed the front springs, cut the passenger side one so it was the same height as the broken driver's side one, and put them back in and everything is back together.

:dunno:

I don't think I can use the insert spacers since I have the airbags in the rear. And air shocks wouldn't help since airbags don't either. I'm starting to think it may be a bushing problem, because there is at least 1/2"-3/4" difference in height between the driver & passenger side of the car. Next chance I get I'm gonna inspect the lower control arms and see what I find out.

Garrett H.
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #9
*edit*

I just realized I didn't even read your first post..  :hick:
One 88