Skip to main content
Topic: failed emissions (Read 1416 times) previous topic - next topic

failed emissions

Reply #15
Yeah thats what the guy told me he said it looks like you dint pass for carbon dioxide, so then i went into the little office and the guy told me its running rich or theres too much gas passing tru, It does seem to waste more gas for some reason... You guys think maybe they dint adjust the fuel injectors right when they put them in? ive been pretty busy so i havent tried anything yet but today is my day off so ill try to check some stuff out, thanks

failed emissions

Reply #16
Oh And Happy 4th Of July everyone:) Be Safe

failed emissions

Reply #17
Quote from: Fast thunderbird
Yeah thats what the guy told me he said it looks like you dint pass for carbon dioxide, so then i went into the little office and the guy told me its running rich or theres too much gas passing tru, It does seem to waste more gas for some reason... You guys think maybe they dint adjust the fuel injectors right when they put them in? ive been pretty busy so i havent tried anything yet but today is my day off so ill try to check some stuff out, thanks

Have you pulled codes?
One 88

failed emissions

Reply #18
Quote from: CougarSE
Have you pulled codes?

Wow.... I feal like I'm back on TRS... I must have asked for codes ten times in the past couple of weeks...
One 88

failed emissions

Reply #19
no i havent i took it to auto zone and it turns out they only check cars  1996 and up, so i gotta take it somewhere else ill let you guys now though.

failed emissions

Reply #20
Question, how did you go about replacing the engine?

If a shop did it with a rebuilt unit, there should be some kind of warrenty. This warrenty not only usually applies to the actual engine, but the installation by that shop. You should be able to take it back to them with your failure form and they should make the neceassary repairs.

As far as your check engine light coming on and turning off, it sounds to me that there is a sensor or hose that is disconnecting which is throwing the code and tripping the light. If that is the case, most likely it's a result of something the shop did or didn't do when installing the engine. I've seen this quite a bit from a pinched vacuum hose or a loose connector.

If it is a used engine that you had someone just throw in there though, you're on your own.

failed emissions

Reply #21
Yeah, if its a new engine, you shouldn't have any problem passing at all.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

failed emissions

Reply #22
UPDATE: well it turns out it was the freaking catalyc converters lol. the shop replaced those and it passed! The car seems to drive even better too.:) thanks for your guys advice.

I still have the check engine light coming on and off as i drive though i think its a hose off/or loose, what should i look for? Car drives good and everything but i get annoyed by that check engine light. Also the warranty was over on the engine so i couldnt take it back there....

failed emissions

Reply #23
never mind there was a sensor that wasnt plug right NO MORE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!:) Cars runs so smooth and fast i love it:)