Skip to main content
Topic: failed emissions (Read 1415 times) previous topic - next topic

failed emissions

hey people, okay i have a 3.8 v6 thunderbird that i took to emssions and i failed for carbon dioxide,, I need it for work and i failed.any body know what to look for? I want to find out maybe whats wrong before i take it to a mechanic cause when you tell the mechanics you failed emissions they rip you off and charge you alot. I asked the guy and he said it could be too much gas passing tru or something how do i check or adjust that? thanks any help would be apreciated

failed emissions

Reply #2
any codes
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

failed emissions

Reply #3
Where you from?
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

failed emissions

Reply #4
Which engine do you have? What year is the car? there were three diffrent 3.8's thrown into these cars.

First thing, replace spark plugs, wires and regap them. Next would be fuel filter, and maybe even an oil change. Most of the time this will drastically help your problem. Next would be air filter, then if it still dosent pass, ask us whats up.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

failed emissions

Reply #5
hey guys thanks for the fast responses i live in phoenix arizona and its a 89 t-bird. it had a new engine put in like 5 months ago so spark plugs , airfilter ect... is new except the fuel filter.

Also i should of said this but completely forgot, when i drive the car 3 minutes later the engine light comes on. that had happened to me before and i found a plastics hose that had broke so i fixed it and it lasted for a while and just yesterday the check engine light came back on. but when i turn off the car it goes away.

Anybody have any engine pics so i can tell you what hose i replaced i cant explain it its by the trotle. thanks guy please bare with me since i dont knowmuch about cars lol

failed emissions

Reply #6
Basically CO and HC will go up if you're running rich or your cats aren't functioning properly. Running lean would only cause NOX to skyrocket and ignition timing doesnt really affect CO. Your cats are there to burn (reduce) HC and CO. If I had to guess I would probably be looking at buying new oxygen sensors. Also check your TPS voltage. TPS could cause you to go rich if the EEC thinks you're at part throttle when you're really idling. Your cats could just be "worn out" if they've never been replaced- but I wouldn't concider changing them until there's nothing left. Also make sure your "secondary air" system is functioning properly; i.e. smog pump, TAB & TAD solinoids, all the hoses especially the one that goes to the converter.

Hope this helps... Emisions sucks!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 5.0 Turbocoupe (Katrina), 87 5.0 Sport (Rita)

failed emissions

Reply #7
hey thanks ill look for those things you said, the oxygen sensors is the one that goes on the exaust system somewhere right? im also gonna see if i can get any codes when the check engine light comes on. thanks for al your help guys:)

failed emissions

Reply #8
Yes those are the o2 sensors. I have never had to replace one to pass emissions. Honestly, I dont think any of mine work. How tough are emissions in AZ anyways?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

failed emissions

Reply #9
im gonna take the o2 sensors off see if they look bad. how od you know if its bad? lol. its gonna be a pain though but its worth a try.
Im not sure how tuff they are here since i never had a car fail emissions but they are alwsy trying to get people here to switch to alternative fuels. And our city violated pollution laws for like 4-5 years straight..... so im guessing they are tough lol.

failed emissions

Reply #10
i say get a can of sea foam run it though the car and then run a little more fresh gas out of it and see about it then. that is how i passed. but since you just got a new engine that might not work for you.
1986 Cougar LS

failed emissions

Reply #11
Oxygen sensors should be replaced at around 30 to 40K mi. The older they are the less accurate they become. Your air/fuel mixture  is based primarily on the feedback the oxygen sensor sends to the computer. If your mixture is even a little rich you're likely not to pass for HC or CO. There's no way to tell if it's bad just by looking at it.

An oxygen sensor produces its own voltage based on the amount of oxygen in the exhaust. As the sensor ages it produces less voltage which tricks the EEC into thinking the mixture is lean. It will then add more fuel and cause a rich condition. You didn't mention your HC levels but I'd guess they were close to the limit.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 5.0 Turbocoupe (Katrina), 87 5.0 Sport (Rita)

failed emissions

Reply #12
Quote from:   i failed for carbon dioxide,[/QUOTE

Are you sure this is the failure? This would mean you don't have enough CO2. There is a minimum amount of it required.
Plug the exhaust while it's running, see if it builds up pressure, if not you have a leak in the exhaust system.

failed emissions

Reply #13
Quote from: Dogcharmer
Oxygen sensors should be replaced at around 30 to 40K mi.

Plus, the more often they're replaced, the easier they will be to get out.

Mine are STILL stuck in my exhaust manifold after trying everything to break them free. Probably have to replace the entire exhaust manifold. Now the new sensors are just sitting in a drawer.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

failed emissions

Reply #14
Quote from: softtouch
Are you sure this is the failure? This would mean you don't have enough CO2. There is a minimum amount of it required.
Plug the exhaust while it's running, see if it builds up pressure, if not you have a leak in the exhaust system.

After looking at my old emissions forms it looks like Maryland stopped the minimium amount of CO2 requirement in the early 90's.

Some states are limiting "greenhouse gasses" which include CO2.
So basicly I don't know what I'm talking about.

In England they tax you based on how much CO2 you put out.

I don't understand how you can reduce CO2 output other than reducing the amount of fuel you use.