Skip to main content
Topic: 88 5.0 (Read 8134 times) previous topic - next topic

88 5.0

Reply #45
Hey man thats some great work you've got going on there..

Think he would deal with tail lights at all?
All I want is the light to be the same texture throughout its length.
You know how they have that cougar emblem that is clear?
That is what I want to eliminate and just have it be red throughout and find someway to show my reverse lights.

88 5.0

Reply #46
I think he has trouble doing more than 2" of bent area, not enough vacuum to pull it tight. The sides of the taillights may not work - the part that wraps around the quarter panel. The rest is very easy though, so you never know. Just email him with a picture and ask, or even call and chat for a few minutes (or hours!).

Of course, it'll pick up any details on the front of the lens, and where it begins to wrap inward, which can be both a good and bad thing (needs to be a perfect mold).

---------

I got the lights aimed tonight, and it looks great from a distance. Both lights change color/flicker at the same eye level and were already perfectly horizontal (did that aiming last week) with the cutoff. My foglights added nothing to the road, just lots of glare up high where the headlights didn't shine. Now its just finishing up and trying to make it look decent where the fiberglass meets the housing.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

88 5.0

Reply #47
night road pics?!?!
1986 Cougar LS

88 5.0

Reply #48
I'm about to seal them up from the front, so just hold on. Its nearing its conclusion!

Didn't work on them at all today.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

88 5.0

Reply #49
Mold for rear enclosure/water guard is from a couple food cans - perfect size. Waiting for fiberglass to dry to finish them up, then I'll be enclosing the rear where the solenoid sticks out. The rest will be gooped up, front shroud is getting goop along the edges, then all will be painted over a final time (supposedly Goop can be painted, we'll see how that turns out). I'll run into a few issues along the way with attaching the lenses as the bottoms weren't bent in far enough, but it shouldn't be too bad. I think ballast mounting will be easy, although they do need to mounted away from water splash. Igniter is completely epoxied so no issue there. All should be fine with removing the airbox/battery during mounting.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

88 5.0

Reply #50
rear covers complete and painted. I'm to the point of closing up the fronts. The lens on one side fits perfectly now, its just attaching everything.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

88 5.0

Reply #51
I'd be done if the lens had better fitment on the bottom. Doing last minute fiberglass on the one edge. Cut the projector and its mount from the rear so I can easily pull it out and mount it back into place when needed (makes final painting much easier, now that the shroud is permanently attached to the housing). I can ALMOST fit the ballast inside the headlight itself.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

88 5.0

Reply #52
Should all be finished tomorrow, if not later tonight. I need to find a huge empty lot with a long building to take comparison shots with the stock headlights (they're a year old, so still new). Ran into a problem with heat curing Friday's final primer coat outside before it was ready - the sun bubbled it.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

88 5.0

Reply #53
Finished shots, just waiting for the paint to fully dry before driving in the dark/running longer than 10 minutes. Don't want any heat bubbles!

1988 Thunderbird Sport

88 5.0

Reply #55
I'm finally unique!

I'd like to get daylight pictures but its raining this second (where'd it come from?!). Its not much different than the earlier picture with the electrical tape holding the lenses on though. I'd "like" to make the rest of the lights clear, but it actually doesn't look terrible as it sits. We all know the corner lights are halfway clear/non-fresneled so going fluted, clear, fluted, clear on the front lights somewhat works.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

88 5.0

Reply #56
Highbeams hooked up now; I had to do more painful wiring, with diodes and such. Found a drip of resin that got in the back when I was fiberglassing over the rear of the solenoids - it was making it stick. Alls back together now and drying ;)

My lowbeam wires and plugs for the 9004 bulbs are still hooked up so I can still do a comparison when weather allows. Highs got their relay snipped, when it turned out to be a different one I was going after (thought my lowbeam was one of my Bosch relays, but it was still the  that came with the summit harness I bought long ago). May not bother doing a highbeam comparison, or I'll just wire a switch in straight from my fuse block to the headlights for the test.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

88 5.0

Reply #57
Now just light up the bird and the front end will look really unique.
1987 Cougar XR7 5.0 SOLD
1992 Ranger 4.0
2018 Hyundai Elantra
2019 Ram Rebel

88 5.0

Reply #58
I don't think that'd look too great. Didn't someone do that before?
1988 Thunderbird Sport

88 5.0

Reply #59
1988 Thunderbird Sport