Skip to main content
Topic: manual windows for 87-88 t-birds? (Read 2173 times) previous topic - next topic

manual windows for 87-88 t-birds?

did these exist? :dunno:
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #1
Yes. I took a pic of one yesterday actualy. 1st time I've seen that on an 87'-88' Cougar. Car was an 87' Cougar LS. I've seen an 85' Cougar that way some years ago without the option also.
Took it with my camera phone, because I was so surprised to actualy see one. I think my eyes poped out of my head. It also had no power seat on the consolette. I'll try to post it after I download it from my phone. I only took a shot of the consolette, I never thought about taking a pic of the door, guess cuz I was so shocked to see it. I saw the lack of a power button for the windows, and bobbed my head from the doors to the consolette quite a few times. I may see it again, since the guy might buy some parts from me.
Oops, u said T-birds. That I am not sure of.

Reply #2
This one time...at band camp...I mean, at the boneyard...I saw a 1987 red metallic Thunderbird, V6, with no options. None. And I mean NONE. No power mirrors/windows/locks/seats, no tilt wheel, no a/c, no rear defroster. Pissed me off too, because someone had thrown a cement block through the rear window. The car had steel wheels with the beauty rings, and also had the radio delete. No map lights either. I could not find a single option on the car. So yes, crank window cars existed. They were not common but not rare, either, at the time. Now they are more of an enigma.

Reply #3
What about a passenger mirror?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #4
Now they are more of an enigma.
Woo-hoo!  I'm driving an enigma!
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #5
well if your askin tbird specific i cant really say anything but since doors are interchangable between cougar and tbird of same era..... my 84 cougar GS has manual doors

Reply #6
My sisters '88 base model T-bird had them and the '88 cougar I parted out a couple years ago had them also. I still have the doors if anyone wants the window hardware.

Reply #7
According to the 88 owners manual manual windows and non power locks were standard on the base T-birds. LX had power windows and locks standard. I actually saw a 88 Sport with power locks and a power driver seat, but manual windows :screwy:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #8
Quote from: thunderjet302
I actually saw a 88 Sport with power locks and a power driver seat, but manual windows :screwy:

I've seen one that had manual seats, windows and mirrors(don't remember about the locks)... Even more unusal it was black with saddle(tan) interior... Seen one TC with that color combo as well...

Reply #9
My '88 LS had power windows and mirrors, but no power locks or cruise control. Remember, these cars were made when you could actually, you know, buy what you wanted in a car, instead of having to buy packages. Well, you could almost buy what you wanted - the HO still wasn't available :D
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #10
I have pics of a 87 TBird base V6 from a local car lot. Bright Red over red cloth, dual manual seats, manual windows, manual mirrors, manual locks, no overhead light, and no rear defrost. Too bad it has like 50K on it and they want $5000. A local customer of mine has a Gold/sandlewood 87 Sport 5.0 with bucket seats, column shifter, and the only power is mirrors and locks. Has a 3.55 rear in it too. Someone's special order drag car?? The local JY has a Med Red/red cloth 83 Coug with dual manual seats, full-length center console, with a column shifter as well. Where the floor shift would go is a cupholder! (Doh!) I have that whole console sitting in my garage now...

Reply #11
my 'rents owned an 87 3.8/auto 'bird that had no power options. manual locks/windows/mirrors/seats, short console. it was med canyon red with grey interior. it did have cruise, rear defrost, and poly-cast wheels.

i wish i knew what jy it went to after my dad wrecked it. i really want the manual parts for my TC....
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #12
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports
A local customer of mine has a Gold/sandlewood 87 Sport 5.0 with bucket seats, column shifter, and the only power is mirrors and locks. Has a 3.55 rear in it too. Someone's special order drag car??

I'd bet $50 with the column shift it ... #1 ain't a Sport and #2 someone put the gear in it... You actually checked the VIN, and the door tag for the rear code??? IF the Ford literature is to be believed, only 2.73s and 3.08s were available with the 5.0 in the '87-'88s... Hell Ford doesn't even have a tag code for the drum brake 3.55 for the Tbirds...

In '94 just before he retired, my cousin that was assembly line maintance supervisor over at the Norfolk F series assembly plant, gave me and a freind a tour one evening while it was in operation... Anyway he pointed to a big Dana rear that was going into a diesel equipped F250 and stated, thats the rear Chuck(his son) wants in his F250 he just orderd, but's it's not avaible with the 351, only with the diesel. I said, "Hell Lee you can't fix that"??? He replied "Nope the rear assemblys are already assigned VINs when they arrive, if they didn't have the rear for Joe Blow's diesel F250 when it came down the line, there'd be Hell to pay up in the front office...

So as far as I'm concerened, all the B/S you hear about this or that part being installed at the factory when it wasn't available is just that..... B/S... Yea MAYBE in the early years, but with inventory controll of the last 20-25 years, it ain't happening...

Reply #13
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports
The local JY has a Med Red/red cloth 83 Coug with dual manual seats, full-length center console, with a column shifter as well. Where the floor shift would go is a cupholder! (Doh!) I have that whole console sitting in my garage now...

All 83-84 'Birds and Cougars had the full length center console with a tray intead of a shifter (except, of course, TC's and XR7's). It ain't a cupholder, though - that would be asking too much :hick: I've got one of those consoles installed in my '88 Bird. When I first installed it I had a slightly modified tray (I had to cut the leading edge down, on an angle) from the '83 Cougar I got the console from, but the grain on the tray doesn't match the 85-88 dash (it's black instead of charcoal and has a rougher texture)

85-88 Birds and Cougars had a full console as an option (87-88 models had a short console that only went as far as the front seat backs to allow legroom for a fifth passenger), with a similar tray that matches the dash - I lucked out and found one for my car, along with a non-power-seat switch plate.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #14
TurboCoupe50 - I don't know. I just assumed it was a Sport because it didn't have the chrome around the windows. It doesn't have an "LX" badge either. Base door panels too. A/C delete car, but that's actually pretty common way the heck up here. I'm not 100% sure on his rear axle because the little tag thingy is gone, but the driveshaft turned about 3.5 times. Maybe a leftover 3.45 from the 86 TC line? My 88 Cougar LS 5.0 had a 3.73 rear in it, but it was built WAY late in 88 and has been through about 5 or 6 owners. Everything else was stock though so who knows?

Thunder Chicken - According to the new 3.5 gallon Slurpy it IS a cupholder! :D:D:D:D