Skip to main content
Topic: Wi-Fi & Network settings... (Read 1778 times) previous topic - next topic

Wi-Fi & Network settings...

Ok, for some reason my 'net connection works totally fine when I'm out browsing the web, watching streaming vids and all that.  But, when I go to download larger files, like what you would do with Limewire or BitTorrent, my connection does a see-saw kind of thing.  The connection will start out, increase in speed, but only up to a maximum of 50k/sec and then it will slowly decrease to all zeroes.  Then, if I wait, it will come back up and start downloading again.  I can expedite this process by dis-and then re-enabling the wireless card, but it still doesn't fix the problem.

I dunno if my problem lies within the network settings or the settings that are specific to the wireless networking.  I'm thinking it would be a lot easier to set up static IP's instead of using DHCP, but I dunno.

Reply #1
I just plug all my shiznit in and hope for the best when it comes to wireless networking. I would try reloading the drivers. My laptop does the same thing, and I switched out from a 20 to a 30 gig and reinstalled windows and drivers and it fixed everthing.

Then again, whenever my computer hickups, I do a spyware scan, and if that dosent fix it, I format the ed thing.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
Yeah, I usually do that, but I'm REAL tired of re-formatting.

I decided to go back to hardwired internet.  So I bought some new Cat-5 cable and a new router and all is well once again.... so far.

Reply #3
what router? what wireless card? what drivers? and I assume xp, but pro or home?

Reply #4
You got a bad router it sounds like, do a tracert to see if you have any bottle necks, a wireless router should be about 1ms sloer than a hardwired (depending on strength). go to a dos promt type tracert google.com it will give you hops from your PC to the destination server, anything over 3000ms is very bad most should be under 200ms but under 100ms is excellent.  a hop from you pc to router should show 1ms hard not more that 3ms wireless.