Skip to main content
Topic: yet another question. (Read 779 times) previous topic - next topic

yet another question.

Ok everyone I have another engine question. I got an engine out of a 91 F-150. Im looking for a 302 roller block to build up. I was told at one time that using the roller stuff in a non roller block could cause problems if you use a big cam as well as you have to be extremely carefull drilling and tapping the holes for the spider. I have the engine from the truck pretty much tore down to a short block so I can see in it really good. I was looking today while I was pulling the timing cover off and happened to glance into the lifter valley.
This thing has holes drilled and tapped in it already. It has raised areas in those spots so it was done in the factory not by someone afterwards. It looks like where the spider would be bolted to. Am I just getting over excited or is it a roller block? The lifters set farther down in the holes then I would think they should but they are normal hydraulic lifters not rollers. Being out of a truck I was told it wouldnt have the roller stuff in it in 91 yet.  Someone who knows please help me out so I can quit wondering what I have. If this is a roller block part of my search for the engine Im wanting to build is over if the blocks still in good shape.
87 T-bird two tone diarrhea color. 5.0 converted with AOD.  GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

94 Lincoln Towncar, Dark Metallic Green, 4.6L AOD
SOLD!!!!

99 Mercury Cougar. V6 MTX75 Trans. CURRENT PROJECT DAILY DRIVER.

yet another question.

Reply #1
I didnt think they went roller till 93? maybe that alrady had the blocks going around before then, is it the original engine from that truck? 91 casting number would start be F1, 92 F2 etc.
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

yet another question.

Reply #2
yeah its the original motor the guy was to much of a cheap@ss to replace a motor. The fact that it was factory threaded is what makes me wonder I could actually thread a bolt in it and tighten it up. A friend told me ,if I remember this right cause Im in the middle of a project, he thinks that they got the roller block earlier just none of the goodies but he wasnt sure totally on it.
87 T-bird two tone diarrhea color. 5.0 converted with AOD.  GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

SOLD!!!!

yet another question.

Reply #3
I think since about the middle of '86 all 5.0's were roller blocks, but in some applications (like trucks) they just didn't use roller cams.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

yet another question.

Reply #4
ok so theoretically I could just buy all the stuff for a stock roller block and use the cams theyre capable of using and not have a problem then?

SOLD!!!!