Skip to main content
Topic: dust in tail-lights..again (Read 1547 times) previous topic - next topic

dust in tail-lights..again

I've been working on the car lately, and noticed today that the driv. side tail light case is spreading apart again, and both sides are dusty inside as well. :yuck:
Last time I had em apart for cleaning, i used gobs of silicon to seal 'em, but I guess I did a half-assed job...:mad:
Anyway, I guess the point of all this ramblin' batch of b.s. is: how in hell do I keep 'em from getting dusty again?
I think I read somewhere once here that using the little clips to hold them, and using that black, goopy tar-like stuff would help...
Anbody think this is what I should do?
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #1
I always just used the removeable silicone that just peels off after it dries, never had a problem on the tbird or any other cars. That goopey tar tape stuff would work great ubless you ever want to get it off lol
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #2
After my Tbrid was rear-ended the tail lights that the body shop installed started to seperate and get dusty.  I went back to the body shop and they used a black urathane sealer they used to install windshields.  No problem since and that was 1997.

Reply #3
the silicone Idea dont work dude I tried with bathroom type silicone caulk simply because I had like 9 tubes of it at the time. it stayed clear as long as I stayed on blacktop:D. just a stupid thought and you should know I have those often lol, what about the plastic welder things? the ones that melt the plastic together. anyone ever been brave enough to try them? Seeing as we dont have to take them apart for any real reason besides cleaning the dust out that has leaked in through the sealants if we weld it together and close that crack off the should stay clear forever right? of course if you ever wanted to mod it you would have to cut it back apart so you would want to do any mods before hand. I think it would work
87 T-bird two tone diarrhea color. 5.0 converted with AOD.  GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

94 Lincoln Towncar, Dark Metallic Green, 4.6L AOD
SOLD!!!!

99 Mercury Cougar. V6 MTX75 Trans. CURRENT PROJECT DAILY DRIVER.