Skip to main content
Topic: Car feels "twitchy", do I need an alignment? (Read 1059 times) previous topic - next topic

Car feels "twitchy", do I need an alignment?

Drove my car in to school today, I noticed the car kinda feels like it wants to wander all over the place although it isn't really pulling to one side, almost like it has too much toe-in. I don't really wanna spend $35 on an alignment if I don't need it, my last set of tires wore normally and I just got these ones put on about 2 months before I put the car away last year.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #1
If your car is toe-in it will actually be hard to stear, wanting to only go strait.  It'l feal kinda spongy turning as well.  If your  car is actually toe-out it will be really responsive to adjustments of the steering wheel.  You can barely touch the wheel and it will turn.  Also on the highway the slightest bump will set it off into another direction.
One 88

Reply #2
You might be toed-out a touch.

For a quick check, with the wheels straight and the car on a level surface, do a quick toe-check with a tape measure.  Just pick a spot equal distances from the ground on the front and back of the tire, measure the width and compare....
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #3
My TC drove like that when i bought her,wanted to wander all over the road.
The ball joints where shot,replaced them and it solved the problem.
Check the wear bars on the bottom of you ball joints,if there flush or below there worn out and need replacement.

Reply #4
Both ball joints in my car were replaced by the previous owner...and I have checked them numerous times for play (thought they were squeaking, turned out to be something else), they're both still in good shape.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #5
my 86 does that too and when i hit this bump on the highway the car jumps to either side even when i hold the wheel with both hands in a steady position. the bump is mor like a 3in drop in the level of the highway but it does it all the time. it is resonsive at speeds to 45 but any highway driving there is play in the steering to were it want to go somewhere else. but i am not following the direction for the toe check.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #6
what he means is pick a distance up from the ground... oh say 10 inches. this must be done when level.  make sure both tires are same size and aired up to same pressure.  measure from the outside rubber on the most forward part of tire... measure from left to right tire... then do the same but with the back section of the front tires.... make sure its at the same height each time.  if the front section of the tire measures wider than the rear section of the front tire. it means you have toe out.... if the front section is narrower than rear section you have toe in.  to figure out how much toe-out or in  take the front measurement minus the rear measurement then you will have your toe out.... negative number means toe in postive is toe out.  hope thats correct and understandable

Reply #7
The distance from the ground will be closer to about 6-7" since the bottom of the car will be in the way any higher.

Also, instead of going to the outside of the tire I ususally just pic a tread groove and lock one end of the tape measure in it and measure to the corresponding groove on the opposite tire.  I'm usually doing this by myself, and don't have another person to hold the other side of the tape.

I also then make sure the steering wheel is straight and the wheels look like they're even  by sighting from the front of the car to the back on each side and compare the overlap with the rear tire.  After each adjustment and before you measure.  Start the car, turn the wheel a couple times and recenter.  Then remeasure.

Set it to even or slightly toed-in.

Reply #8
i was just using 10 inches as a reference. but yeah chuck that would also work  i do beleive my "formulation" for toe in and out are correct lol

Reply #9
Yes you explained it correctly. ;)