Skip to main content
Topic: lincoln engines (Read 1752 times) previous topic - next topic

lincoln engines

how come the Mark VII's had a HO option, when the cougar/t-bird's only had a SO? and how come when there was the switch to the mn-12 chassis, the Mark VIII's had DOHC, when the cougar/t-birds SOHC? i'm just not sure why FoMoCo decided to give the lincolns that extra bit of power. and because of this, if same year cars raced(ex. 88 t-bird vs. 88 mark VII) would the mark win?
1988 Thunderbird sport
2004 Ford F150 Lariat
2008  Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone

lincoln engines

Reply #1
The reason is very, very simple. Ever price up a new Lincoln compared to its Ford counterpart? When you're gonna charge 50% more for the same car it had better have something special. Sadly, Lincoln has forgotten that lately...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

lincoln engines

Reply #2
What the hell motor is even in the LS's???

lincoln engines

Reply #3
3.9l V8.

lincoln engines

Reply #4
Yeah if I was paying for a Lincoln, I'd want a "good" engine in it too.

Besides, the Marks were performance luxury vehicles. Thunderbirds were geared more toward the luxury side. Plus the Thunderbird has always played second fiddle to the Mustang as far as the V8's go, Ford liked to explore their alternative engines (2.3 turbo, 3.8 SC) with the Thunderbird & cougar :dunno:

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

lincoln engines

Reply #5
3.9l V8 eeewww.  I could have sworn it would have at least been a V8 outta the newer T-bird.

lincoln engines

Reply #6
Quote from: DakotaEpic
3.9l V8 eeewww.  I could have sworn it would have at least been a V8 outta the newer T-bird.

The new T-birds do (did) have 3.9L's.

lincoln engines

Reply #7
My friend has an '00 Lincoln LS with the V8. I read that it has 252 ponies under the hood but I sure couldn't find them.
My '96 felt faster.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

lincoln engines

Reply #8
Quote from: Ifixyawata
The new T-birds do (did) have 3.9L's.

I thought they had a 4.something motor that Ford uses in their Jags?

Oi, and who started the user bar trend on this site???

lincoln engines

Reply #9
I dunno, I know of one other person here that has one that says "Cougar Driver".

lincoln engines

Reply #10
the 3.9 is from jaguar

2002+ got 280 horses
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

lincoln engines

Reply #11
Quote from: bhazard
the 3.9 is from jaguar

2002+ got 280 horses

Its the Jag 4.0 de-stroked.  Sure Lincolns get better motors than Fords, but Jags get the best of the best. :giggle:

And yeah, the 280hp LS's with variable valve timing are animals.  Combined with the 5-speed auto they really fly.
pro-five-oh

88 Cougar XR-7...5.0HO, T-56, and much more                             
85 Thunderbird 30th...#2471, 29k, all original and might actually stay that way

lincoln engines

Reply #12
Quote from: Thunder Chicken
The reason is very, very simple. Ever price up a new Lincoln compared to its Ford counterpart? When you're gonna charge 50% more for the same car it had better have something special. Sadly, Lincoln has forgotten that lately...

yea, this does make sence, if i were to pay that much more i would want to have that little something extra. and it is sad how FoMoCo  gets one car and sells the same exact thing 3 times, with the only difference being the car name and the company emblems. :shakehead
1988 Thunderbird sport
2004 Ford F150 Lariat
2008  Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone

lincoln engines

Reply #13
Why didn't they put the HO in the Cougars and T-birds? Quite simple. They weighed less than a Mark VII and would have been quicker. How could Ford charge more for a car that was slower than a car that cost less and was almost comparably equiped?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

lincoln engines

Reply #14
People buy cars for its looks first, engine second. With a couple hundred thousand of our cars coming off a year, ford had nothing to worry about. And, we all did a double take the first time we saw our cars.

With that big of a selling point there was no need to trick us into it. THe stock engines arent the worst that could ever be put in these cars. Well maybe the 3.8.....

THe stock 5.0 is more then enough to get the car moving. We all have to admit that. Our cars are not sports cars, they are the compact boats of the age. And most boats are about the same speed or slower then ours.

Even thought are cars are mustangs, noone else will see it that way.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com