Skip to main content
Topic: 2.3L Turbo or 5.0L build up... (Read 1618 times) previous topic - next topic

2.3L Turbo or 5.0L build up...

I'm wondering which direction to take with the 'Bird. It's an 83 turbo coupe w/ original 2.3L.

The only goal so far is to run 13's. The 2.3 will need a rebuild and a new turbocharger. I already have a brand new 5.0L block I bought from Summit racing a few years back, as well as a complete rebuild kit. I would most likely go carburetor with the 5.0L instead of messing with fuel injection. I would probably need a new transmission for either engine.

What do you guys think in terms of cost, reliability, and streetability?

Reply #1
Streetability with a 5.0 and 2.3L wont be much different. They have very different driving characteristics, but they will both be drivable, especially for 13 second setups.

Swapping the 5.0 will have its own technicalities, but you having a brand new block, rebuild kit, and all that, i would sway 5.0.

Either engine would be just as reliable as the other. I run 21psi of boost, a hybrid turbo, upgraded fuel system, and other odds and ends, and i beat on the car every chance i get, and my 2.3L rocks.

In your case, id look at what you already have.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #2
2.3 , dont see to many 83 t/c's
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #3
Quote from: SLEEPER T-BIRD 87

Agreed....
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #4
I also agree 2.3!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
87 T-Bird turbo'd and supercharged and if things call for it juiced. :evilgrin:
88 Turbocoupe t3, 4.10's, Daily driver

Reply #5
Quote from: SLEEPER T-BIRD 87

ditto. it's pretty rare, if you want a 5.0 car, you can pick up an original 5.0 car and do the swap to that one, and save a rarer care from being another v8 swap victim.

Reply #6
true,...2.3 is the way to go. Gas miliage, and its already in there. I personally would throw in the gas  hog though.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #7
Definitely!  '83 TCs are a bit too rare to just swap the engine out.  I've only seen 2 or 3 of 'em in my area, ever, and I owned one of 'em. 

My vote is 2.3

im glad someone asked this

Reply #8
hi all,
 im new here. and i was doing a little searching when i came upon this tread. i just bought an 85 turbo coupe because i love how they look, and thought they were also a rare bird(pun intended) anyway, i thought about this too(the swap)  but i also like car as is, and thought about leaving it alone and only doing a "minor restoration"  car is good over all, just needs minor cosmetics, but nothing bad. she only has 80,9xx miles(dospoogeented)  so i hate to cut her up for a swap...........please give any and all opinions on this!  i tried to put up pic, but it wont fit.

Reply #9
You should try starting your own thread first, might get more responses that way.

Reply #10
I say stick with the 2.3t. 83's are the rarest Turbo coupe. Besides if you have the 83-84 instake hang on to it. Its the best factory setup you just need to add an intercooler The long individual runner help out with the idle and throtle response. If you want to go with the 5.0 sell the 83 factory intake to me please. Just my 2 cents
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #11
im against any yanking of the 2.3t out of a turbo coupe
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #12
5.0 buildup, but do it with a Sport, not a TC. :nono:
I only say 5oh buildup because you already have the motor.
2.3T buildup for shock-value, 5.0 buildup for yawns and predictibility.
[size=0]88 Thunderbird Turbocoupe 2.3T 5spd~78K miles
88 Thunderbird Turbocoupe 2.3T 5spd
[/size]

Reply #13
hmmm...........  2.3l build-up  is this a worth while idea???

Reply #14
hell yah, those motors can be monsters for a 4 banger.