Skip to main content
Topic: Decisions decisions.... (Read 1076 times) previous topic - next topic

Decisions decisions....

I just made a pretty difficult decision a few minutes ago.  See, I'm 17 and I've been looking for a job, but I've been getting pretty much screwed, so dad decided to be nice enough to let me use some money he got off of ebay.  Originally we were going to build us our first scratch made PC, but then I found this Fox body Tbird/Cougar community and we started looking into converting my SO 5.0 into an HO.  So I just had to make the very difficult decision of which one to do.  Due to inspiration I got from the people here and a few other things, I decided to go ahead with the HO conversion.  What do you guys think?  Have any of you made and difficult decisions lately?

Decisions decisions....

Reply #1
Quote from: kingcars
Have any of you made and difficult decisions lately?

HAHA...that's an understatement to say the least..... and no..it's none of your business..:nono:

Do you need the PC right now, or is it just going to be a toy?  Sounds more like you can't decide which fun thing you would rather do :giggle:
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Decisions decisions....

Reply #2
Well, before you get in a "bust your ass all week" type of job, assuming you are out, or soon will be out of school, remember, you're only 17 once, I went into a full time job, 10 hours a day, 6 days a week, the day after I graduated high school...wish now I'd spent the summer goofing off, but then again the economy was better 10 years ago :mad:
Anyway, you can always build a pc, and it ain't no fun lookin' at other peoples' cars with a 225 hp 5.0 on your "new" computer.:giggle:
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Decisions decisions....

Reply #3
I think I would have taken the HO over the PC also.

Decisions decisions....

Reply #4
Cool, thanks for all the comments.  I'm happy with my choice because I wouldn't have been able to do everything I'd want on the PC with the limited budget.  I'm excited about adding another ~60hp to my car :) .

Decisions decisions....

Reply #5
Look at it this way - if you had built a PC it would have been obsolete before you got it out of the box :D
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Decisions decisions....

Reply #6
That and it's not like you really need a pc right now. Obviously you have one to use or you wouldn't be posting here.
But you need that HO conversion.:D

Decisions decisions....

Reply #7
Yep I vote HO conversion. I'd have done mine already but I want to rebuild the engine and add better heads and an intake than a stock HO. I'd go with the HO conversion. Even though the mods I've done to my 5.0 make it much more peppy nothing beats a HO conversion for power over the 5.0 SO ;).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Decisions decisions....

Reply #8
Good points, guys!  Well we scored a camshaft last night for $5.50 + $12 shipping, and there's a whole TON of stuff we may be able to score today.  In addition to getting HO conversion parts, we might get a set of Mustang shortie headers since I hear that they can help quite a bit.  This is going to be fun! :D  My Tbird should even be able to beat (or at least stay with) my dad's 84 Trans Am 305 after the conversion :evilgrin: .  Can we say "sleeper?"

Decisions decisions....

Reply #9
If you get and put on the mustang shorties keep in mind they do not have the bung for the o2 sensors like your factory manifolds.
You will either have to drill out your pipe or find a way to put a bung on your new headers.

You could take the easy way out and get yourself an H-pipe which will already be set for the o2's. All you would have to do is lengthen the harness for them.

Decisions decisions....

Reply #10
Yeah, my dad and I already noticed the lack of a spot for the O2 sensors.  Will there be any clearance problems when putting the headers in, or do they fit in well?

Also, the exhaust is going to have to wait a while; I'll have to keep the stock crummy Y pipe for now, until I can get $300 for a new system.  :(  Oh well, that will just keep the car looking bone stock for a while.  :D

Decisions decisions....

Reply #11
Stock mustang headers should bolt up with no problem. I have Lincoln ones and they fit like a glove. I believe they are exactly the same.

Decisions decisions....

Reply #12
Thats good to know, thanks!

Decisions decisions....

Reply #13
Mustang/Mark VII factory headers fit fine. Just don't forget to put the o2 sensors in the head pipes before you start the car (don't ask why i know this;) ).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.