Skip to main content
Topic: Functional turbo coupe scoops on a 5.0? (Read 2533 times) previous topic - next topic

Functional turbo coupe scoops on a 5.0?

I have a 88 Tbird 5.0 and I just got a turbo coupe hood for it.  I was wondering if anyone has been able to make the scoops directly functional into the air intake of a 5.0, and if so, please share how if you don't mind.  Thanks for your time.

Reply #1
carburated cars, or cfi cars can use them, provided its not raining lol.

Reply #2
My Tbird is an EFI, and it has an air intake box on the passenger side quarterpanel, I believe.  The hood we got even came with the scoop tunneling and stuff on the underside where it would put air directly into the 4cyl, and I was just wondering if there is anyway to re-route it for the 5.0.

Reply #3
the scoops on the 87-88 TC feed fresh air to the intercooler, it doesnt have to be dry, as it's not going into the motor to be part of the combustion cycle...
Hookin' the scoops up to an intake/carb/cold air intake, is probably a no-no
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #4
Yeah I figured that... :(  Thanks for the info.

Reply #5
it would be similar to the hood on my mustang if you wanted to make it functional. You would have to build an airbox to receive the air coming from the hood.https://www.cervinis.com/product.aspx?car=1&id=1122#9007

RIP 1986 Turbocoupe
1988 Mustang GT Show car/weekend racer
1986 Mustang T-top coupe The 2.3T project
1977 F250 400 4wd Fun in the mud
1997 Honda CBR F3 For when i want to make everything else feel slow

Reply #6
And that would take care of the rain/water problem?  Oooh that would be very cool.  I might try that at some point.

Reply #7
near impossible with the stock 5.0 brackets and distributor. both are in the way.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #8
The way the scoops are located on the hood I don't think they'd ram much air into the engine at speed anyways. Now if someone could figure out how to do a shaker like the 2004 Mach1 that would be pretty  cool :D
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #9
Yeah, that would look really cool!  But hey, even with the turbo coupe scoops, a little extra clean, cool air never hurts :) .

Reply #10
I don't think the ducting fits with the hood closed on a 5.0 though. If you remove it you should plug the scoop, unless you want water dumping on your distributor:nono:

So you want to make that ram air Mach1 shaker work;) ?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #11
Unless it was like my 84 with the round air cleaner. Is that considered cfi? Just cut two holes in the front and run tubing Is what I would like to do.
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

Reply #12
I'd love to try making a shaker hood for it, but right now there's a lot of other things we're workin on :( bleh.  Someday......

Reply #13
I think the effort required to hook up the scoops to the intake would definitely not be worth the small gain.

First off it'd be no better than a regular cold air intake with the filter down in the fenderwell.

Second, the factory ducting is in no way shape or form sealed to the hood or to the scoops. I think it'd be a huge headache just trying to make the whole thing "airtight" enough that you could get enough air coming in to be beneficial.

Basically you'd have to build your own ducting and yeah, that sounds like a lot of work.

I suppose hooking it up to a carb air cleaner would be easier, but you'd still have to deal with the fact that the ducting would have to seal to the hood and blahhhh....

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip