Skip to main content
Topic: rear axles (Read 1147 times) previous topic - next topic

rear axles

would there be any advantage to a mustang rear axle out of a 2.3 or 3.8 car? and what would be a good rear axle to get for 5.0l that would make it a little quicker but still day to day driveable with decent milage... or are those 2 things that dont mix...

rear axles

Reply #1
they dont mix the best, Most people say 2-3 mpg worse with 3.73's, and I am soon to find out. Also, it wont make it faster per say, but it would give it alot better seat of the pants feeling.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

rear axles

Reply #2
I have 3.73 FMS gears and Traction Lock in mine and yes it is faster. The higher lower (numerically higher) gear set increases torque multiplication and does make the car faster. I would say it trimed about .3-.5 of a second off my 0-60 times. The car does feel much stronger but as a trade off you won't have the top end speed you do with 3.08s or 2.73s. The gas mileage isn't that bad, about 2-3 mpg off what it was with 2.73s but because of the better gearing I have the tendency to hit the gas harder to feel the acceleration :D
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

rear axles

Reply #3
what is a good car to get one from?

rear axles

Reply #4
Turbo Coupe had 3.73 gears and traction locks if they were auto cars. You'd have to convert to rear discs to install the rear though. I just had my rear end rebuilt and the gears I wanted installed.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

rear axles

Reply #5
Quote from: Haystack
they dont mix the best, Most people say 2-3 mpg worse with 3.73's, and I am soon to find out. Also, it wont make it faster per say, but it would give it alot better seat of the pants feeling.

i gained quite a few MPG's with an aod going from a 2.73 to a 3.73
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

rear axles

Reply #6
Quote from: SLEEPER T-BIRD 87
i gained quite a few MPG's with an aod going from a 2.73 to a 3.73

Me too, I guess because the engine does not haved to work as hard to get going in the city.
Matt :tg:

rear axles

Reply #7
That's good news. Hopefully I'll realize the same gains with an AOD and 3.55's :D Gas here just hit $1.17/liter, and I'll bet it'll be over a buck and a half by the end of summer...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

rear axles

Reply #8
Wow, gas here in NC is getting close to $3 per gallon.  :yuck:

I just got some 3.27s ready to be put into my 88 5.0 Tbird; I think it's a perfect mid range gear for gas mileage and acceleration.  I also have a 7.5in rear end, btw.

rear axles

Reply #9
what about a rear end from a stick turbo coupe?

rear axles

Reply #10
Quote from: 88cougarxr7
what about a rear end from a stick turbo coupe?

What year? All pre-87 TC's had 3.55 gears in a 7.5" rear. In 87-88 the stick TC's had a 3.55 8.8" rear (this is the rear I'm installing in my car, hence the AOD+3.55 mentioned above) while the auto had 3.73's in an 8.8" housing. Ford did this by way of apology for crippling the auto TC's with 155 horses (versus 190 for the stick).

Your 88 XR7 should already have a locking 8.8", so unless you need disc brakes there's no advantage to swapping in a TC rear. You'd be better off just installing gears and rebuilding your traction lock

Quote from: Kingcars
I just got some 3.27s ready to be put into my 88 5.0 Tbird; I think it's a perfect mid range gear for gas mileage and acceleration. I also have a 7.5in rear end, btw.

I installed 3.27's into the 7.5" locking rear I had in my '87 Sport. IT made a bit of a difference, but nothing ground shaking. OF course I also added a 2.5" off-road true dual exhaust system at the same time so I probably gave up a bit of bottom end torque, so the 3.27's likely made up for that. I got my gears out of an '87 V6 'Bird.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

rear axles

Reply #11
:iagree:

If you already have a 8.8 then just change the gears and rebuild the Traction Lock.

rear axles

Reply #12
btw, I have only found one out of many 88's with 8.8's, so you will still have to crawl under and check. I ygot my 3.73's out of a mark 7 turbo (so carmen dosent get pissed at me I would put down desiel, although  i think I spelled it right,... I dunno)but that is with a 7.5 rear. Oh well, some modivation for when my engine gets all beffy
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

rear axles

Reply #13
Is it OK if I get pissed off that you misspelled "motivation"? ;)

And no, you spelled "diesel" wrong. Having spent the last five years in a shop called "Diesel and Auto Electric" building cop cars I rather think I know how it's spelled. It's on all my paycheques :D

...But don't trust me, use the spell checker.

I agree on the 8.8" thing though - Ford seemed to make things up as they go along back then